Sometimes when I receive a call from my users to solve their problems it is very difficult for me to found their computer IP address. Even finding their computer Host to provide remote support can be a problem. So I resorted to Google and I found a great little utility.
It is very useful for domain environment. BG Info is a small utility which displays Computer HOST or User logins, Computer IP, USER NAME and other information on the desktop of user’s machines and for my requirements, to find out the user's IP & HOST for remote support.
In this article I describe step by step configuration to use BG Info using group policy in domain environment.
1. Download BG Info it’s free utility
2. Now Open it’s Exe (Application) File
3. In the Text Menu add the thing which you want to add on user desktop
- in my case I add HOST,IP,USER NAME
4. Then Save it’s configuration file which is like this bginfo.bgi
5. Share Both utility and its configuration file in a folder
- in my case I shared it on \\khi-fileserver\bginfo
6. Share this folder and provide READ access on NTFS permission and
Share permission because it is very important for every domain access this
and display on Desktop
7. Now open Note pad and create a batch file and write following script
8. \\khi-fileserver\bginfo\Bginfo.exe \\khi-fileserver\bginfo\bginfo.bgi /timer:0 /nolicprompt
9. Save as bginfo.cmd
10. Now open group policy management policy console
11. Create new GPO and go to edit
12. On GPO Editor computer configuration and windows configuration
13. On computer configuration go to Scripts same as for user configuration
14. Add that script which you created on step 8
15. Link GPO to particular OU
16. And run gupdate /force to apply group policy
BG info is very power utility in to create hardware inventory database on shared file. Just
create a text file and placed at Step8 when you click on database then browse to that location where you created that text file.
BG info uses WMI query to found all hardware inventory in domain environment , also all these WMI queries are customizable and you can add many items as you want.
Considering 93 percent of companies file for bankruptcy within 12 months of a disaster that blocked access to their data for 10 days or more, planning for the worst is just smart business. Learn how Acronis Backup integrates security at every stage
There are many cases found where ScanPST.exe fails to repair corrupt Outlook PST File. When user tries to repair PST using Inbox Repair tool and it throws below error:
• Inbox Repair tool does not recognize the file
• ScanPST.exe hangs in betwee…
I've published three five-minute Experts Exchange video Micro Tutorials that describe terrific features in an excellent, free PDF product called PDF-XChange Editor:
How to rotate pages in a PDF with free software (https://www.experts-exchange.com…