For some time, our SharePoint Site had been suffering from performance issues. The users of the site were always quick to point out any performance issues, and it finally came to a head.
I had tried all types of things from app pools ( "Recycling" page ), registry hacks, adding CLR's to the sharepoint server, modifying the local host file, adding additional RAM, adding web gardens, re-indexing the SQL tables, troubleshooting SQL, Ensure there is no Disk or Bandwidth issues between the DB and SharePoint. While all good things to do in principle, still no joy.
Then, onto further tests and checks for network speed, re-schedule crawling jobs to run outside of regular business hours, enabled object caching , ensured compression is enabled too!
Actually, compression is a good tip... For lower bandwidth users SharePoint sends a large amount of CSS information to users that compresses down to 1/10th it's size if compression is enabled, ensure internal DNS is working correctly.
TechNet has some good best practices here
. It is very thorough and will help you narrow down the problem.
But, nothing I did provided the performance boost we were looking for.
What I eventually found to improve slow performance in SharePoint 2007 worked for us, and continued the search. I finally came across a post about "closed web parts". These tips were found here.
So, with a new idea and plan of attack, I took a look and my default page had 65 closed web parts dating back to 2005... yikes,
I went through and removed them and the page loads much more quickly. From 20-45 seconds down to 2-4 seconds. Finally, victory, and happy users.
I then went through the entire sharepoint site and found approx. 150 more closed web parts through out all the sites... now the entire SharePoint site is running much quicker.
As described in the above blog, here is how you remove the closed web parts.
Edit the page
Click Add a web part
Click the Advanced link at the bottom of the popup window and check for closed web parts
If found, you will need to add them back to the page and then delete them.
It is tedious but, worth the time.
I spent many weeks scouring the web looking for a resolution and this one worked for me.
Hope that helps. - Michael