Browse All Articles
> Change EqualLogic Storage IP Address
This example is regarding one of the most complex possible cases: the Ethernet interface and group IP addresses are changing, as is the gateway address, and everything is moving to a different subnet. Your case may not be as complex.
As two week before I change my all storage IP address and now I am happy. So I am sharing this step by step IP reconfiguration with you.
i am just putting one example with you.
Old Ethernet New Ethernet
Group address 192.168.246.192 10.0.202.86
Eth0 192.168.246.193 10.0.202.87
Eth1 192.168.246.194 10.0.202.88
Default gateway 192.168.246.1 10.0.202.1
Netmask 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
Here are the steps:
1. The Array firmware requires that there always be at least one active Ethernet interface on the Array that is in the same subnet as the group address. This is true even during the
process of changing addresses. For this reason, at least two interfaces on the Array must be “live” (that is, connected to another network device such that the “Link” LED is lit) and
configured in the same subnet as the group address before the firmware will let you change an interface IP address to a different subnet.
If you only have one Ethernet interface configured on your Array, you must temporarily
configure another interface with an address in the same subnet as the current group address and connect it to the network.
1. On all iSCSI initiator clients that have connections to the Array, disconnect any connected volumes and remove any target portal entries that point to the Array.
2. Connect a serial cable to “Port 0” on the active Control Module (the one with the “ACT”
LED lit). This operation should be done with a direct connection, as opposed to a Telnet or
ssh session, because when the interface settings are changed,
3. Login as “grpadmin”. At this point you are at the “group” configuration level.
4. Select the member. This will put you at the “member” configuration level (note the
test> member select
1. Select the Ethernet interface to change first. This should be one of the interfaces that is
connected to a live connection as described in Step 1 above; in this example we will use
“eth1”. This will put you at the “interface” configuration level.
test-storage1> eth select 1
Change the address and netmask for Eth1 to the new values.
test(member_test-storage1 eth_1)>ipaddress 10.0.202.88 netmask
2. Exit from “interface” level back to “member” level. Then, change the default route (gateway)
address for the member to the new address.
3. Exit from the “member” level back to the “group” configuration level. Then, change the group
4. Then, change the other Ethernet interface addresses. These interfaces do not have to be
connected to a live connection, though they may be. This is done at the “member” level.
test> member select test-storage1
test(member test-storage1)> eth select 0
test(member_test-storage1 eth_0)>ipaddress 10.0.202.87 netmask
[Same thing for eth2 if needed...]
5. If you needed to configure a “temporary” Ethernet interface in Step 1, you can now unconfigure
it by setting its IP address to zeroes:
test(member test-storage1)> eth select 2
test(member_test-storage1 eth_2)>ipaddress 0.0.0.0
6. Once the Ethernet interfaces are set correctly, exit from the “member” level back to the “group” level.
test(member test-storage1)> exit
7. Confirm that all the changed settings look correct.
test> grpparams show
______________________________ Group Information _______________________
Name: test Group-Ipaddress: 10.0.202.86
Storage-Optimize: capacity Def-Snap-Reserve: 100%
Def-Snap-Warn: 10% Def-Snap-Depletion: delete-oldest
DateAndTime: Thu Apr 15 18:13:44 TimeZone: EST
Def-Iscsi-Alias: yes iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic
Info-Messages: enabled Webaccess: enabled
Webaccess-noencrypt: enabled Cliaccess-SSH: enabled
Cliaccess-Telnet: enabled Email-Notify: enabled
SNMP-Trap-Notify: disabled Syslog-Notify: disabled
Chap-Server-List: 127.0.0.1 iSNS-Server-List: <site-specific>
Object-Reuse-Scrub: disabled Email-From:
test> member select test-storage1
_____________________________ Member Information _______________________
Name: storage1 Status: online
TotalSpace: 588.18GB UsedSpace: 417.89GB
SnapSpace: 1.58GB Description:
Def-Gateway: 10.0.202.1 Model: 70-0001
Serial-Number: A000078 Disks: 11
Spares: 2 Controllers: 2
CacheSize: 494MB CacheMode: write-back
Connections: 0 RaidStatus: ok
RaidPercentage: 0% LostBlocks: false
HealthStatus: normal LocateMember: disable
Controller-Safe: disabled Low-Battery-Safe: enabled
test-storage1> eth show
Name ifType ifSpeed Mtu Ipaddress Status Err
---------- --------------- ---------- ----- --------------- ------- ---
eth0 ethernet-csmacd 1000000000 9000 10.0.202.87 up 0
eth1 ethernet-csmacd 1000000000 9000 10.0.202.88 up 0
eth2 ethernet-csmacd 1000000000 9000 down 0
8. Finally, reboot the Array.
Do you really want to restart the system ? (y/n) [n]y
syncing disks... done
unmounting /pss (/dev/sf0d)...
unmounting / (/dev/md0a)...
PSS I/O Stack Shutting down
Shutting down iscsi
Shutting down eqliom
Shutting down eqlcache
Shutting down raid
Shutting down PSS Class
do_global_dtors: running destructors at 0x8254353c
After that you can reattach the server with new storage IP address. I done this and it takes hardly 30-40 min to take effect.