Recently, I was updating the Rollup 7 update on our Exchange 2010 SP3 server. When I opened the Exchange Management Console (EMC) on the on-premise server, I got the following error message:
[Server FQDN] Processing data from remote server failed with the following error message: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Data.AutoDiscoverSmtpDomain' from assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Data, Version=220.127.116.11, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic. It was running the command 'Discover-ExchangeServer -UseWIA $true -SuppressError $true -CurrentVersion 'Version 14.3 (Build 123.4)''.
This article shows how I applied some troubleshooting to get to the final solution.
- I tried to open the EMC but it failed with the error
- I then tried using the Exchange management shell, but it failed to open with above error.
- Verified that wsman and kerbauth modules are showing up in native mode on PowerShell virtual directory.
WSMan provides methods and properties used to create a session. Kerberos is used to authenticate the user connecting using remote PowerShell. If either was absent, the server would fail to process data from remote sources.
- I verified that wsman and kerbauth module were not loaded on Default Web site level.
- I verified that wsman and kerbauth module were present in the global modules section of the C:\Windows\System32\Inetsrv\config\ApplicationHost.config file
- I checked event viewer and did not find any events related to the issue.
- I executed WinRM quickconfig in Windows PowerShell. WinRM quickconfig is a PowerShell command that analyzes and configures the WinRM service; WinRM allows you to then start remote computers and servers.
- I installed the WinRM IIS Extension. This allowed me to verify that my issue was the server itself and not something with the connection to it.
- I made a backup of AdminTools from registry path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14 and removed "NodeStructureSetting" value from AdminTools key.
- I then relaunched EMC but still the received the same error.
- Reverted the changes by importing the AdminTools again in registry.
- I then reinstalled Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 7 and rebooted the server.
After that, both the EMC and EMS started working.