Browse All Articles
> An ideal way to register the domain name
Registering a domain name is a critical task especially when you are completely dependent on the Internet. Therefore, it is necessary to register a domain name very carefully because it plays an important role for the activation of your brand. Before registering a domain name, it is important to take certain things into consideration. You don’t simply register domain name because you like it. The domain name you choose must make a sense to the rest of the world.
There are lots of times people mostly concentrate on the designing process and they forget that domain name will usually be the first thing people see. There are several things you should keep in mind while registering the domain name.
Things to keep in mind before registering a domain name
- Simple: It is mandatory to keep your domain name as simple as possible. The shorter the domain name, the easier it will be for people to remember. It is therefore important to consider choosing an easy-to-recall domain name. The best thing is to avoid any sort of complications and words that are long or hard to spell.
- Relevance: When registering a domain name, it is advisable to utilize relevant key words in your domain name. For instance, if you are into sports business, then it would be feasible for you to include terms such as sports or sports gear in your domain name. Most importantly, if you are targeting a specific segment of people then include that in your domain name.
- Keep back-ups: Make sure to come up with couple of names if your first choice is already taken. The more unique your domain name is, the better chance you will have because there are lot of times when the name you have chosen is already taken by other organization.
- Extension: There are top level domain names available today including .com,.net, .org and .biz. It is important to know the more unusual the extension is, the more domain names are available. However, .com is the most common extension on the internet as it was the first domain extension put to use and achieved incredible media attention. So, if you are not able to get the .com extension, then look for .net, which is the second most commercially popular domain name extension.
- Stay away from hyphens: When registering a domain name, you have the options of including hyphens as a part of your domain name. Most of the domain names do not have hyphens and, therefore, most of the people forget to type them when searching for a product or business. Including hyphens in your domain name increases the chances of misspellings and people never remember to type them which can cost you many potential customers.
- Services offered: Also consider domain names that may not include the name of your company, but rather what your company provides. For instance, if the name of your company is Roger’s Tools, then you may want to target what you sell, for example, “buyaxe.com” or “hammer-and-axe.com". Just a note: you can own multiple domain names that can point to a single domain. It is much easier when people use your product or business name to search your website.
- Long arm of the law: Be careful not to register domain names that include trademarked names even though you believe your domain name is untouchable by a business that has trademarked a name.
Be mindful of the above, and you will be able to register a relevant and apt domain name.