Possible fixes for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 updating problem. Solutions mentioned are from Microsoft themselves. I started a case with them from our Microsoft Silver Partner option to open a case and get direct support from Microsoft.
If someone has other solutions commend down below.
I know I'm not the only one here, but we have alot of issues with Windows 7 clients that are unable to search and/or install Windows Updates.
On the internet you'll find alot of fixes and work-arounds, but it keeps getting worse and worse.
It looks like MS is trying to force everyone to upgrade to W10 or reinstall Windows 7 somehow ?
So I started a case with Microsoft on the update problem with Windows 7, they advised me some new KB's and other fixes. I had a laptop last week updating day and night but he didn't find the updates. One of the fixes they send me worked for me so it will probably work for a lot of other people as well.
So the first 2 fixes you will need to try, also when you think it doesn't apply to your situation.
Note; After each update i recommend restarting your computer before starting to search for updates.
1. Hotfix Slow CPU To Increase the Search Speed -
2. The first KB update to try
When the first options don't work these one of the 2 below should work.
Try the fixes in this order;
1. Stop Windows update services.
Install : https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/D/0/5D0821EB-A92D-4CA2-9020-EC41D56B074F/Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu
-> April 2015 SP1 Update
2. Stop Windows update services.
Install : https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/0/560504D4-F91A-4DEB-867F-C713F7821374/Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu
July 2016 SP 1 Update
3. Stop Windows update services.
Install : http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=kb3125574
Convenience rollup update SP1
I hope 1 of the fixes worked out for you! It's still a lot you need to try out and also annoying that there is no fix where you just need to install 1 fix. For the time being this should work out for most of the pc's. If not i would recommend contacting Microsoft although they will suggest you KB's you already tried.
If someone has other solutions comment down below please;
Things i tried before doing this were;
1. Install this KB Hotfix - https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/kb/3102810
. This one is a known fix, but doesn't help anymore.
2. Stop the Windows Search service, go to <C:\Windows\SoftwareDistri
bution and delete all the files>. Reboot and search again for updates.
3. Install the latest Update for Windows Update : https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/kb/949104
4. Download the update readiness tool and let the tool search and fix.
5. Download and ran the update readiness tool
6. Reset the Windows Updates components https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058
netsh winsock reset