<

New-EdgeSubscription Fails with LDAP Server Unavailable error

Published on
5,665 Points
2,665 Views
Last Modified:
A couple of months ago we ran into an issue that necessitated re-creating our Edge Subscriptions. However, when we attempted to execute the command: New-EdgeSubscription -filename C:\NewEdgeSub_01.xml we received an error indicating that the LDAP server was unavailable.

When attempting to create a new Edge Subscription file we received the following error:


New-EdgeSubscription : MicrosoftExchange couldn't create or update the Edge Subscription account on the Edge

Transport server for thefollowing reason: The LDAP server is unavailable.. Stack is   at

System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.Connect()

   atSystem.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.BindHelper(NetworkCredentialnewCredential, Boolean

needSetCredential)

   atMicrosoft.Exchange.MessageSecurity.EdgeSync.AdamUserManagement.CreateOrUpdateADAMPrincipal(Stringuser, String

password, BooleanbootStrapAccount, TimeSpan expiry)

   atMicrosoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.NewEdgeSubscription.InitiateSubscriptionOnEdge()

At line:1 char:1

+ New-EdgeSubscription -FilenameC:\Certificates\Exchet02_Sub.xml -verbose

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    +CategoryInfo          :InvalidOperation: (:) [New-EdgeSubscription], InvalidOperationException

    +FullyQualifiedErrorId :[Server=EXCHET02,RequestId=70125004-b579-493f-82a0-57f30649dea4,TimeStamp=6/21/20175:46

   :25 PM][FailureCategory=Cmdlet-InvalidOperationException]4B625345,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurat

 ionTasks.NewEdgeSubscription



I looked at numerous postings related to this issue, but none of them provided a solution. We finally engaged Microsoft, and the engineer had me execute an iDNA trace. This is not for the faint-hearted, as few MS engineers are trained in analyzing the output. The time it took to execute the command and have it fail generated a file over 1.2GB in size! 


The analysis showed that the command was getting to the Active Identity manager software, which, since these are standalone servers that don't use smart card authentication, was blocking the command from reaching the LDAP server (ADAM). 


The software was uninstalled on the server we used to troubleshoot the issue (we have two Edge servers), deleted the personal certificates (add the certificates snap-in selecting the 'My user account' option, then browse to Personal\Certificates), and the problem was resolved. On the second server I was able to solve the problem by simply stopping and disabling the service (though the software will be removed from that server, also)


0
Author:fudgetek
Ask questions about what you read
If you have a question about something within an article, you can receive help directly from the article author. Experts Exchange article authors are available to answer questions and further the discussion.
Get 7 days free