Browse All Articles
> How To Fix RRV Bucket Corrupt Error In Lotus Notes
Lotus Notes has been used since a very long time as an e-mail client and is very popular because of it's unmatched security. In this article we are going to learn about RRV Bucket corruption and understand various methods to Fix "RRV Bucket Corrupt" Error in Lotus Notes.
IBM Notes or Lotus Notes is a client-server software platform that has been used by many organizations for a long time. Lotus Notes is an application suite that includes components like E-mail, Calendaring and Scheduling, Address book, Database, Web server and Programming.
Lotus Notes stores all of its data in NSF (Notes Storage Facility) file format and due to certain reasons, is prone to corruption. In this article, we are going to discuss a particular type of corruption known as RRV Bucket Corruption, the reason for such a corruption and how to fix the error in Lotus Notes.
Reasons For And Ways To Resolve RRV Bucket Corrupt Error In Lotus Notes
RRV stands for Record Relocation Vector and RRV bucket acts as a guide that locates specific data such as notes or object identifiers in the Lotus Notes Database. But when RRV bucket gets corrupt, Lotus Notes is no longer able to access specific data upon the user's request.
Lotus Notes files data base are prone corruption due to various physical and logical errors, hence there are various reasons for RRV Bucket corrupt error. Some of the most common reasons of such an error are:
- Corruption in database or templates
- Corruption in archived database
- Virus attacks
- Improper System Shutdown
- Hardware failure.
The above mentioned errors are some of the reasons for RRV Bucket corruption and to fix these errors, one may employ the following methods:
- Repair Corrupt Database
- Rebuild a new Archived Database
- Rebuild and Recover Bookmarks and other files
- Compact the Database
Let us discuss the procedure to employ the above mentioned ways and methods to fix RRV bucket corrupt errors in Lotus Notes.
Ways To Fix RRV Bucket Corrupt Error In Lotus Notes
Now that we know the reasons and ways to resolve RRV Bucket Corruption Error in Lotus Notes, let us discuss the procedure to employ the above mentioned methods to fix RRV bucket corruption errors in Lotus Notes.
Method 1: Repair Corrupt Database
In order to repair a corrupt database, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Change the directory to your Lotus Notes program directory by opening command prompt
- Now enter the command
- nfixup.exe X:/<name-and-location-of-the>.nsf
- This command initiates a general scan of the NSF file and tries to repair it when corrupted.
- Enter the command
- ncompact.exe X:/<name-and-location-of-the>.nsf
- This command compacts the NSF file.
- Enter the command
- nupdall –r X:/<name-and-location-of-the>.nsf
- This command rebuilds the entire NSF index.
Method 2: Rebuild a New Archived Database
The reason behind the corruption in the archived database is due to a large size of the mailbox. In order to fix Corruption errors arising from corrupted Archived Databases, follow the steps mentioned below:
First, recover the mail file from the backup copy of the database, then, generate a new archive database using backup copy.
To create the new Archive Lotus Notes, follow the steps:
- Click on File >> Database >> Properties option. (If you are using Lotus 8, then click on File >> Applications >> Properties)
- Click on “i” tab
- The Disk Space is clearly visible that determine the amount of space currently utilized by Lotus Notes data
- Then, you may easily set the desired archive settings
- Now, open the mail application
- To open mail settings, click on Actions >> Archive >> Settings
- Then, in the Criteria tab check the Default for last modified option
- Finally, click on OK button and apply the Criteria
To Schedule archive automatically, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Lotus Notes mail application
- Navigate to Actions >> Archive >> Settings
- Choose the Schedule archiving in the Schedule tab.
- Select the desired day and time to process file archive automatically.
To archive Lotus Notes manually, follow the steps below:
- First, open Lotus Notes and then open folder that a user wants to archive
- After that, click on Actions >> Archive >> Archive Now option
- Then, to start the archiving process, click on Yes option.
To archive using the drag and drop method, follow the steps:
- Open the mail or folder of choice in the Lotus Notes application that you want to archive
- Then choose the message/messages you want to archive and simply drag them to the archive folder in the Navigation pane.
Method 3: Rebuild And Recover Bookmarks And Other Files
RRV Bucket corruption might also be caused by errors caused due to bookmarks and other files. This can be resolved by rebuilding and recovering bookmarks and other files. To do so, follow the procedure mentioned below:
- Close Lotus Notes Client.
- Rename names.nsf to names.old after closing the client
- Now delete bookmarks.nsf
- Rename desktop8.dsk to desktop8.old
- Now make a copy of the notes.ini.
- Edit the notes.ini and delete everything but the first 5 lines.
- Now start the client again, and the client will recreate the names.nsf, desktop8.dsk and bookmarks.
Method 4: Compact The Database
Compacting the Database helps in reducing the space used by the database and makes the database less vulnerable to virus attack or corruption. Follow the steps mentioned below for compacting the database:
- First of all, open the database
- After that, navigate to the File >> Database >> Properties
- Then, open the Info tab
- Next, click % used option
- Here, a user can check the % used, if it is below 90% then, you can easily compact the database
- Now, to compact the database, click Compact option to start.
IBM released Lotus Notes in 1989 and by far it is still one of the most used e-mail. Its unmatched security through encryption in e-mail storage adds to its merit. Still, just like many other e-mail client, it is prone to errors arising from various issues. The resolutions for RRV Bucket corrupt error has been discussed thoroughly in this article.
Feel free ask questions or tell us any other way to 'fix RRV Bucket corruption error' that we might have missed in the comments section.