Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.
Commonly known as RDB, Recovery Database is an out-of-the-ordinary mailbox database that permits you to mount and then extract data from a restored mailbox database as part of a recovery process. RDBs allow restoring data from the backup or copy of the database without restricting or disturbing users in accessing the data of the mailboxes saved in the Exchange Server database.
After you create an RDB, you can restore the mailbox database into the RDB by using a backup or by copying a database and its log files into the RDB folder structure. Thereafter, you can use the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet to extract data from the restored database. Once you extract the mailbox data, you can export it to a folder or merge into an existing mailbox.
Exchange Management Shell for restoring Exchange database to a recovery database
1. Restore the database and its log files or copy the recovered database and its log files, to the place that you will use for your recovery database.
2. With the Eseutil utility, turn the database from dirty shutdown to a clean shutdown state. The syntax for it is as follows:
(Note - In the syntax given above, EXX is the log generation prefix for the database. For instance; E00, E01, E02, etc.)
3. Create a ‘recovery database’ and give it a unique name. However, use the ‘name’ and ‘path’ of the database file for the EdbFilePath parameter. And also, use the location of the restored log files for the LogFolderPath parameter. The syntax for it is as follows:
This example shows the creation of a recovery database that will be used to recover database‘DB1.edb’ and its log files located at ‘E:\Databases\RDB1.’
4. Restart the service named Exchange Information Store. The syntax for it is as follows:
8. Use ‘Get-MailboxRestoreRequest’ at regular intervals to check the status of the mailbox restore request. Once the restore has a status of ‘Completed’, use Remove-MailboxRestoreRequest to remove the restore request. The example is as follows:
9. Lastly, confirm if the mailbox and data has been successfully recovered. To do so, open the target mailbox with the use of Outlook or Outlook Web App and check if the restored data is present.
Things to know
You should know the following things before executing the process described above.
The suggested software to restore Exchange database
It is suggested that as an alternate to using Shell to restore Exchange database, you can use Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery software. Having a user-friendly interface, it can easily and successfully restore Exchange database. Along with that it can restore all mailbox data. Its salient features are as follows:
Know how Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery can be executed
Here, you will get to know how Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery software can be executed to restore Exchange database.
1. Launch the software after it has been downloaded and configured.
2. Select EDB dialog box comes up on the main screen, click Open EDB or Find EDB to choose the EDB file that is in damaged state.
(a) Click Open EDB provided the storage location of EDB file is known to you, else click Find EDB. Next, click Start.
3. Find EDB File dialog box appears if you click Find EDB button in the Select EDB dialog box.
a. Choose a disk drive using Look in drop down menu, then select File Type as ‘EDB’. Or, click Look in tab.
b. Click Start so that the software starts searching Exchange database (EDB) files saved in the drive you selected in the last step. After some time, the search process completes and all the EDB files that are found are displayed in Find Results of Find EDB File dialog box.
c. From Find Results, choose the corrupt EDB file to be repaired and click OK.
4. Select Scan Mode dialog box that provides Quick Scan and Extensive Scan options appear. For quick results, select Quick Scan. For better results, select Extensive Scan. After that, click OK.
5. The ongoing Scan process is shown that you can even stop by a click on Stop button.
6. A three-pane structured preview window comes up. In it, the restorable Exchange database with entire mailbox data is displayed.
7. Click Save present in the File menu. Save As dialog box shows up from which you can select PST, HTML, RTF, MSG, EML, PDF, or Office 365 file format as you wish. With this, Exchange database is restored.
Disadvantages - NA
The Ending Lines
Now that you know how to use Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery software to restore Exchange database, go for it make your work easy without leaving any chance for failure!