Learn to delete duplicate emails from Outlook 2016, 2013 & 2010 using three effective and easy methods. Also, know what are the reasons that cause these duplicates in Outlook. With these proven inbuilt methods, you can improve performance of your Outlook and remove duplicates.
In MS Outlook, it is such a hectic task to find the original email messages due to their duplicates. These duplicates are responsible for decreasing performance of Outlook, resulting in lower productivity. All we need is a right solution to remove duplicate emails in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 & all the below versions. Lets go through the whole article to learn best methods to delete Outlook duplicates.
How Do We Get Duplicate Emails in Outlook?
There could be a lot of reasons that influence duplicates to take place in MS Outlook. Some of these are-
1. Creating same email account more than once.
2. Improperly configuring rules.
3. Short time periods of send-receive Inbox updates.
4. Installing any third party add in like Anti Virus scanner.
5. Inappropriately merging multiple files.
6. Synchronizing Outlook with other devices like Mobile Phone.
Why Should We Remove Duplicate Emails in Outlook?
Generally, nobody wants to keep any kind of duplicacy in their messages, calendars or tasks, priorly due to space issue. But we face more problems than just memory issue, due to the presence of duplicates in Outlook. Let’s see what are they-
1. MS Outlook will become slower and provide degraded performance.
2. Increased email corruption.
3. Lack of memory in Outlook.
4. Outlook becomes less productive
What are the Best Ways to Remove Duplicate Emails in Outlook?
Method 1# Account Settings
While configuring Outlook, we sometimes configure Outlook mailbox more than once, which ends up creating email duplicates in Outlook.
Steps to remove duplicate emails in Outlook:
1. Open Outlook
2. Navigate to File >> Info
3. Choose "Account Settings".
4. In Account Settings window, look for "Email" Tab. Select the account name configured in Outlook. If it appears more than once, click on Remove to delete those extra accounts.
5. Click “Close” and exit.
Method 2# Import/Export
Step 1. Open Outlook & go to File >> choose Open & Export >> select Import/Export
Step 2. On Import and Export window, choose "Import from another Program or file" and hit Next.
Step 3. On Import a file pop up window, choose "Outlook Data File (.pst)" and hit Next.
Step 4. On Import Outlook Data File tab, browse the file to be imported and check "Do not import duplicates" and press Next.
Step 5. Lastly, select either a single Outlook PST file to export whole data or browse a folder of Outlook PST file & then hit on Finish.
Method 3# Outlook Clean Up Tool
MS Outlook provides an inbuilt feature Clean Up Tool, which allows user to delete duplicates in Outlook PST file or folder.
Steps to remove duplicate emails in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 with Clean Up method-
- Run MS Outlook >> select Clean Up on Outlook ribbon window. Expand it.
- There are three options “Clean Up Conversation”, “Clean Up Folders”, “Clean Up Folders & Subfolders” >> choose “Clean Up Folders & Sub folders”.
- Click on “Yes” & proceed.
- You’ll see a dialogue box “Clean Up Folder”. Hit on “Clean Up Folder”.
- Another option is “Settings”, select “Settings” option to manually choose the destination of deleted items folder.
- Now click “Browse” to provide data file location.
- On a pop up Select Folder (displaying all the available folders in MS Outlook). Choose Deleted Items & then press OK.
It is very common to get duplicated emails in Microsoft Outlook. A right solution must be used to remove these Outlook duplicates. In the above article, we have just provided the best three methods for eliminating the duplicated items from Outlook mailbox, in order to make Outlook smooth to run, more efficient and more productive.
However, we can not blindly trust on manual methods to remove duplicate emails in Outlook, as these methods are a bit more time taking for huge tasks. If you are having around 10000 emails in your Outlook mailbox and want to remove duplicates from more than the half of emails, then these methods will surely take a long time.
In such a case, you can use SysTools Outlook Duplicates Remover to eliminate duplicate emails in Outlook in a very short time. This tool simply deletes duplicate emails, contacts, calendars & tasks in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and all below versions quickly.
SysTools Outlook Duplicates Remover