I've just fixed a problem with Sage 50 Accounts 2010 crashing when creating a new Company. I've spent nearly 4 hours on it including three calls to the Sage helpdesk (they didn't work it out in the end - I did!) ... so I thought I'd share the solution with others.
When a user creates a new Company in Sage 50 Accounts 2010 (and possibly other versions), it will progress through the process of copying files from the installation folder to the destination folder but, before the copying process completes, Sage 50 Accounts 2010 will crash with a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) error screen (STOP error 0x000050). Depending on the Windows environment settings, the computer might automatically reboot.
Windows 7 Professional (might not be relevant), Sage 50 Accounts 2010 (might not be version-specific), Norton Internet Security 2010 (or Norton Anti-Virus 2010), creating a new Company on a network drive (problem does not occur when working locally) and the network drive is on a Small Business Server 2008 computer (might not be version-specific), user has full permissions to source and destination folders. User is able to create a new Company on a local drive but not a network drive.
Norton Internet Security 2010 conflicts with Sage 50 Accounts 2010 when copying files for a new Company from the local installation folder to a shared network location. Auto-protect must be configured to ignore the shared network location.
- Open Norton Internet Security 2010;
- Click 'Settings' within the 'Computer' section;
- Under the 'Exclusions' heading, click 'Configure' next to 'Scan exclusions';
- Under 'Real Time protection exclusions', click 'Add' and enter the destination path that the new ‘Company.xxx’ folder is being created in;
- Click 'OK' and 'OK' again on the next screen to immediately save and update the settings.