cPanel is a Unix based web hosting control panel that provides a graphical interface and automation tools designed to simplify the process of hosting a web site. cPanel utilizes a 3 tier structure that provides functionality for administrators, resellers, and end-user website owners to control the various aspects of website and server administration through a standard web browser. cPanel is commonly accessed on port 2082, with an SSL-secured server operating on port 2083.
Access through cPanel:
Generally cPanel customers will not have direct access to generate their own CSR (certificate signing request) and install a Cheap SSL Certificate. One may have to check with the hosting provider as to how to go about generating a CSR for certificates.
WHM (Web Hosting Manager):
The control center of the CPanel package is the WebHost Manager. Accounts can be set up and managed through WebHost Manager. Use WHM to generate your CSR and install your issued certificate.
To generate a CSR Certificate:
• Click on the “Generate an SSL certificate and Signing Request” link in the SSL/TLS menu.
• Enter the email address to send the certificate.
• Enter the domain that the SSL is being created for in the “Host to make cert. for” field.
• Fill in the other administration details of the certificate in the Country, State, City, Company Name, Company Division, and Email fields.
• Enter the password for the certificate in the Password field and click on “Create.”
On completion of these processes, an email will be sent to the address mentioned in the above steps with the download link to the certificate. Use the link to download the certificate, and afterward, perform the following steps.
Step 1: Certificates (CRT)
• Login to the Control Panel
• Click on SSL / TLS Manager
• Click “Generate, view, upload, or delete SSL certificates” option
• Paste the CSR supplied by the Certificate Authority in the “Certificate Signing Request (CSR)” section
• When the page loads, click the “Browse” button and locate the CRT file the SSL provider created. Or if you have highlighted and copied the contents of the CRT file, paste it in the “Upload a New Certificate” text box
• Click on the Upload button
• Click the “Go Back” link to return to SSL/TLS Manger
Step 2: Activate SSL on Your Web Site (HTTPS) (Perform this step prior to using the SSL Certificate)
• Click on SSL/TLS Manager > Setup a SSL certificate to work with your site. Contact your ISP, if this option is not available.
• From the Domain drop down menu select the domain that will use the Cheap SSL Certificate. The SSL Certificate and the corresponding private key will be fetched by the system.
• Open the Intermediate CA certificate in Notepad or another plain text editor and copy-and-paste all the contents of the intermediate file into the CA Bundle (CABUNDLE) box.
• Click on “Install Certificate.” If successful you should receive a message that the certificate was successfully installed.
Step 3: Verify Installation
To verify the installation correctly, you can use a SSL Certificate Checker.
Once the Cheap SSL Cert is installed correctly, the browser should display the essential lock pad beside the URL. High-end certificates such as an EV SSL Certificate will display the entire address bar in green.
About the Author:
RapidSSLonline is one of the largest cheap SSL certificate providers and is a Platinum partner for Cheap VeriSign Certificates, Cheap GeoTrust SSL, Cheap Thawte and Cheap RapidSSL. For more information about RapidSSLonline, please see my Profile.
The MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 certification validates your skills in supporting the maintenance and administration of the Exchange servers in an enterprise environment. Learn everything you need to know with this course.
Two types of users will appreciate AOMEI Backupper Pro:
1 - Those with PCIe drives (and haven't found cloning software that works on them).
2 - Those who want a fast clone of their boot drive (no re-boots needed) and it can clone your drive wh…
In response to a need for security and privacy, and to continue fostering an environment members can turn to for support, solutions, and education, Experts Exchange has created anonymous question capabilities. This new feature is available to our Pr…