• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

What inspires your participation at Experts Exchange?

I want to help people
I want the recognition of being a smart professional
I like free stuff
I am trying to earn more employment opportunities with my contributions
I do this because...
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (57)

Expert Comment

Gareth Gudger2014-11-24 05:33 AMID: 135576
ikr....

Expert Comment

Uni Kitty2014-11-24 08:15 AMID: 135602
@Gareth, that's a great blog post, I saw it before I came to Experts Exchange. It was something that helped me make my decision to come over.

Expert Comment

Alan Hardisty2014-11-24 08:27 AMID: 135604
I think that was the blog-post that I never got around to writing.  How dare you plagiarise my thoughts ;)

Expert Comment

Gareth Gudger2014-11-24 08:38 AMID: 135608
@Melanie.
Wow! That's awesome!

@Alan.
You need to write it Alan. Checking your blog out now. :)

Expert Comment

Scott Fell2014-12-06 11:07 PMID: 137246
I think Gary's first post is perfect and Gareth stole my thoughts in his blog post too.  You sharpen your own skills by helping others, researching answers(spending more hours than you wan to admit many times).  

The true appreciating goes a very long way (@rowby and @netminder and all the other thank you's I have been collecting.   While many askers may have one or two questions, there those where you can see their line of questions build to an end product or find something interesting.  Rowby was working on site for a Laugh In tribute  and that has some great memories of my first tv crush as probably a first grader - Goldie Hawn.    isnoend2001 rebuilt his own website not too long ago where he sells roofing estimating software.  All of this threads were very appreciative of everybody that helped and the EE site.  BobbaBuoy created his own software to time running races and has also been extremely appreciative of those who help and the site.  

I am a huge small business fan and it gives me great pleasure to not only know you are helping these kinds of businesses, but being able to see the result over time.  

Also learning from the other Experts here in just participating side by side on a question or with the other Admins/TA's.   It's not easy to be open to new ideas and but if you can, there is a lot to learn that you either didn't know was possible or were too afraid to ask.  Netminder points out that more people use the site viewing answers than by participating with questions.  I know I probably fall into that at times.    On the Web Dev side, it has been a pleasure and great learning experience to participate with Cd&, Gary, Rob, Ray, Dave, Leakim and the rest.  

I'm always amazed at the constantly huge amount of time N puts into the site and the professionalism-customerservice-lovingmalet-exnewspaperguy he brings.  That is a big motivator.

The number one reason I participate here vs that "S" word site are people like Andreas Jung . "move on with bullshit "what is best ..." questions. On Stackoverflow you would be downvoted to -100 in seconds and your question would be closed immediatetly,".  Here is a guy that after a bit of research gives talks about using the CMS Plone and comes up with an answer to an honest question in this shitty manner.  

Answers like that do not exist here AFAIK and I for one would delete it right away if I saw that.  Sometimes the answer may not stick out like a sore thumb and the chosen answer may not always be the actual best answer, but it was best for the Asker in their situation.   By the way, I responded to that post just because of the way he answered.  I probably would not have been as diplomatic had I not had the experience of being a TA and the tutelage Netminder, Rob, Jason, Cd& and the other Modmins and TA's.  He actually +1'd my last response.

Expert Comment

Uni Kitty2015-01-23 12:25 PMID: 142471
I just did another read through of each one of these and I'm feeling so inspired by you guys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It is a privilege to have you all be part of this community. You make my day!

love-keyboard.jpg