• GA,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Verizon / AT&T Super Cookie Invades Privacy?

The news of the AT&T / Verizon "Super Cookie" has been flourishing this week.

Here is one such report:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/verizon-atandt-tracking-their-users-with-super-cookies/2014/11/03/7bbbf382-6395-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

As a security and privacy matter, I find the practice appauling. If they wanted to go the Google Route and give me free access to their networks instead of charging me $200+ / month to re-sell my activities and information, then at least I could opt into it.

But, since they aren't, I am compiling ways to thwart the practice. VPN is at the top of my list. I am a subscriber to Private Internet Access and run an OpenVPN at my office. Both of which can offer protection against the cookie.

What are some ways you guys are using to protect yourself from being "tracked against your will?"

(Also, other providers like T-Mobile and especially MetroPCS are offering themselves as "we don't track you" alternatives. Any thoughts on that? Is this enough to make you switch carriers?)

Expert Comment

John2014-11-22 11:44 AMID: 135330
I am not sure I know what big brother is doing.

I know this:  Whereas I have a dynamic IP for my home / home office and have had for over a decade; and whereas it would change about every 6 months; and finally whereas I just had to have the ISP's cable modem replaced, I then got the SAME IP address.

So I think ISP's are keeping you on one IP and then handing your data over to governments. Do NOT believe your government that they are not spying. They are spying on us.

Author Comment

DrDamnit2014-11-22 04:01 PMID: 135345
The point of this tracking cookie (and the chilling idea behind it) is to track ALL requests. They are adding an X-header to all (unencrypted) outbound traffic. My problem with this is simple: even though I have nothing to hide, I don't want my data being aggregated. The problem I have with meta data is the same problem we have with spam filters: they aren't perfect. Additionally, I don't really want my information out there for bad actors to find either.

and yes... the government is definitely spying on us. Big time. Sure they are "looking" for bad guys, but I don't want my innocent queries about news and other information being added into their mix.

I think they should have a warrant for my meta data.

Expert Comment

Robert Green2014-11-26 11:18 PMID: 136102
Agreed Michael, they should have a warrant for our data. I wonder if the Patriot Act is allowing them to do this?

Hi guys I am new to the Expert Exchange and some what new to the IT field.

I hate I just saw this trend, just singed another 2 years with Verizon.  I also got the new LG G3, which I love but the display just stopped working.

What carrier do you guys prefer?