• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

"Used in a Solution" points for articles and videos

One of the benefits to Experts of publishing articles and Micro Tutorial videos is the "Used in a Solution" bonus of 500 points. Problem is, Askers don't always pick the post where the article or video was mentioned. In some threads, the Expert will begin with a reference to an article/video, and then many posts later, the question closes with a solution. There's no doubt that in most of those cases, the article/video was part of the solution, but it may not have been one of the posts chosen by the Asker. I suspect that most Askers don't even realize the value to the Expert of accepting a post with the article/video reference.

So here's my suggestion. Have the code that looks for an article/video URL in an Accepted/Assisted Solution also look in other posts by the same Expert for an article/video URL. I realize that occasionally it may result in UiaS points where, perhaps, one could say that those points aren't deserved/intended, but in far more cases it will result in proper UiaS credit for the article/video author. I think EE should err on the side of giving credit rather than not giving it.

Your opinions, please. Regards, Joe
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (21)

Expert Comment

Gary2014-12-10 03:49 PMID: 137781
The chances of (this happening) EE implementing this are about 1 in a gazillion

Expert Comment

Sina May2014-12-10 03:57 PMID: 137783
I've been watching this thread develop, and wanted to ask:

Joe and John,
Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to request attention on the thread and ask a Moderator to include the post with the article or video, especially if you knew it was relevant to the solution?

Expert Comment

John2014-12-10 04:01 PMID: 137784
Because I dislike creating work for Moderators.

In my case (first so far) it also was not entirely clear although the poster used a screen I point to used in the article.

Still, I dislike making work.

Author Comment

Joe Winograd2014-12-10 04:20 PMID: 137789
> request attention on the thread and ask a Moderator

I thought about that, but came down on the side that the Mods are already overworked and that putting more on their plates isn't a good idea. I'd rather have them spend their time getting Topics right, which is extremely important and something that can't be automated (however, EE has shown surprisingly little interest in getting Topics right, which is baffling to me, considering how important it is in the Expert-rating system; but don't get me started on that, as I've already blown way too many hours discussing it — all to no avail).

This new idea is something that can be automated. The code already exists to look for an article or video URL in an Accepted/Assisted post (well, articles, anyway — I've never received any UiaS points for videos — but I understand that a fix for that is in the works). It shouldn't be difficult to deploy that code to look for an article or video URL in other posts by the same member whose post was a solution.

I could be wrong about the overworked Mods. If there are any Mods following this thread, how would you feel about a Request Attention to ask for selection of a different post (one with the article/video URL) as the Accepted or Assisted Solution? Regards, Joe

Author Comment

Joe Winograd2014-12-16 10:36 AMID: 138494
> I could be wrong about the overworked Mods. If there are any Mods following this thread, how would you feel about a Request Attention to ask for selection of a different post (one with the article/video URL) as the Accepted or Assisted Solution?

Well, since there wasn't any negative feedback from Mods on this, I decided to give RA a try. There could not be a more perfect example! This post has a link to one of my videos that clearly solved the problem for the asker:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Microsoft_Applications/Q_28581826.html#a40502653

But a follow-up post for clarification was needed:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Microsoft_Applications/Q_28581826.html#a40502959

Guess which one the asker picked, by itself (all 500 points, Grade A), as the solution? Yes, that's a rhetorical question. I suppose to some extent it's my bad for not including a link to the video in the second post, but I just don't think in those terms as a thread evolves. Besides, sometimes it takes a large number of posts to get to a solution, and it's not practical to include the link in every post. And often, as in this case, the post selected by the asker (from the same expert) is somewhat random. I'm convinced that the asker usually doesn't realize the impact to the expert depending on which post is selected. Anyway, it will be very interesting to see how the Mods respond to my Request Attention. Regards, Joe

Author Comment

Joe Winograd2014-12-16 01:50 PMID: 138537
Well, folks, I don't expect to be doing this often, but I am delighted to report that a Mod changed the Accepted Solution to be the post with the link — and with nary a complaint! I was honest and straightforward in the RA, saying that the change "will allow my video to get 'Used in a Solution' credit". He said, "Fair enough. Re-closed." Very nice! Regards, Joe