• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

How to get rid of all those email notifications!

"An Author posted..."
"An Expert posted..."
"Good Assist!..."
"Good Answer!..."

... etc.

I try to spend my spare time helping people and try to post as much as possible (say 10 question per day)
On average, if question has 10 posts, I do get 100 emails per day...

I checked all settings and nothing is working to stop those...

Do I miss anything?

Is only option I have:

1. stop posting here
2. unsubscribe
3. change email to fake email

please dont suggest anything like "create rule, move them here, auto delete etc..." there should be other way like "no email at all" if we do not want...

we should keep internet clean and go green...
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (19)

Expert Comment

Merete2014-12-15 05:24 PMID: 138353
Have a look in your settings, click on settings under profile avatar on the right
Look in notifications
https://secure.experts-exchange.com/settings.jsp

Author Comment

HainKurt2014-12-15 06:01 PMID: 138355
Merete, I started this after doing all kinds of tricks :) check my second post, I already have gone through all steps...

With current design, there is no way to get rid of those (bug / intended)... you get emails and somehow get rid of them...

is there anyone successfully set their account, so you get notifications on site but not email?

Expert Comment

John2014-12-15 06:03 PMID: 138356
is there anyone successfully set their account, so you get notifications on site but not email?

As I noted farther back, I do not think you can do this.

Expert Comment

Merete2014-12-15 06:36 PMID: 138368
HainKurt,  must have missed that ..
You cannot remove your email address while a member of EE so the only alternatively if you don't ever want to receive emails of any kind from   EE mark as spam create a filter for all of EE and delete from server from your ISP web mail. Then you wont get any in your email client but can see them in the notifications.
Groups has this feature where you can choose emails and notification or only one.
Click on Group Settings gear up the top left panel under Discussions.
choose onside notifications only.

As a member of EE it would seem the norm to register  with an email address..and receive emails alerts to questions you participate in or have been promoted to a designated expert and receive emails from those designated zones when questions in those zones are abandoned.
Please note that if you select "No"  to all you may still receive select important website or account notifications from Experts Exchange
Email Preference Center
 Just below Notifications Settings
Send emails as
 HTML
 Text
>>Manage your email subscriptions at the email preference center. << link to this page.
I think they are working on this by introducing the Notifications side panel> that's a new addition from the last big upgrade, now we have groups another new feature again where members can provide insights hash out stuff promote ideas and provide individual feedback, these emails and or notification choices are possibly on the table as we speak.
You ask you shall receive in time :)

Author Comment

HainKurt2014-12-15 07:33 PMID: 138378
if you don't ever want to receive emails of any kind from EE

This is not what I want... I want these kinds of emails for example:

- Your post is accepted...
- Your post assisted...
- Hire me!
- Private messages from other EE Experts...
- News, announcements...
- Important messages related to my account
- Private emails to me from EE managers/admins...

The rest I don't want... especially these ones:

- Author posted a comment...
- Expert posted a comment
- Author accepted another post...

and I want/need to monitor the questions that I participate, so un-monitor is not an option...

This is a design issue...

We should be able to set those individually... someone should organize & clean this mess (all kinds of outgoing emails) with a nice GUI & some checkboxes...

It is not difficult to add a logic like

if UserSettings.Email.AuthorPost then SendEmail ("author posted something...");

Right now we have some options here & there (which I think badly organized) and I cannot do what I want here...

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2014-12-29 10:17 AMID: 139700
and I want/need to monitor the questions that I participate, so un-monitor is not an option...

hmm... you do need "Author comment" in that case unless you think all your answers are definitive.

i'd suggest an option so EE does not send more than a message per period of time (day) after the user's last post on each specific thread.