• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

What can EE do to promote its knowledge pool?

Hi folks.

Recently, I wrote an article and after four weeks or so, just 76 people have viewed it... very strange, I must say. I wrote the same article before in another german IT administrator forum and it had nearly 1,500 views in the same time, 20x more, though EE is surely the larger community. There are many articles that didn't do much better.

So I wonder:
Is this (still) no place for sharing knowledge? Or is EE still struggeling to promote their "Learn-Section", which covers videos and articles?

How could EE improve that?
I find it so much better to share knowledge that way than just by answering questions.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (102)

Expert Comment

John2015-04-29 04:58 AMID: 1730295
We did fix the page view issue we found with tracking unique views

I got a number of extra points last night and it appears to come from article views.

Expert Comment

John,

Noticed that too.

Expert Comment

David L. Hansen2015-05-01 12:29 PMID: 1730777
I Just noticed a possible change that could easily be done to promote articles.  

At the bottom of each article's page there is the following text: "This article has helped [x number of] people." Below that there is the green "Vote this article as helpful" text (or, "You voted this article as helpful, share it with someone."). Following that is information about the author and then all the comments. Buried bellow all of this is a (not too eye catching) sharebar. It reads, "Also share on" and displays some checkboxes next to "Facebook", "Twitter", and "LinkedIn."

First of all, those reading articles will rarely scroll to the bottom to discover those social network links, fewer still will read all the comments (and thus discover it that way). So, to increase the exposure of the sharebar, let's move it directly below the vote/share text area. Secondly, can we add to the list of social networks and give them their own brand icon (Google+ anyone)? As a side-note (and not to throw too many bells and whistles in, but..) I think the simple hover-over animations of such icons looks professional, so I'd like to see that too (others may disagree).

Finally, the I.T. community's perception of EE isn't completely out of the mud yet, so these changes would do more than just promote the article's content, it would promote EE's relevance and credibility. It goes without saying that when an EE article is shared by someone, that person (in a small way) puts their own reputation behind EE.

Expert Comment

Once again, I doubt many will share if non-members only see part of the article.

Expert Comment

Sina May2015-05-01 03:50 PMID: 1730807
Buried bellow all of this is a (not too eye catching) sharebar.
I just wanted to point out that this sharing option is related to your comment. i.e. when I post this comment, tell Facebook I posted it.

To actually share the article you can use the share bar that stays anchored to the bottom of your page.

Thank you for confirming how confusing this comment sharing interface is :)

Once again, I doubt many will share if non-members only see part of the article.
Another FYI, sharing to social media should post a "shared" link to the content (the same as what's generated with the link widget) which will allow the content to be fully accessible.

Expert Comment

@Sina

But it's only for the shared article "special link" that's tweeted..., the moment that they hit that landing page, all the other Articles written by that author, they are back to square one, e.g. limited viewing...