• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

UPDATE: Article Views and Calculations

Hi Everyone -

If you have authored an article for our community, you may have received an email detailing your article monthly views summary. This email contained incorrect page view counts for your articles. We identified that a bug was introduced to our site in early April that caused this issue.

To address the problem, we released a patch to the website. This fix corrected the article view count problem, and we will now resume updating article views on a daily basis. For May, article view counts should be updated once per day.

Again, we apologize for any issues this may have caused. We are not planning to address the lost expert points as a result of this issue; however, if your expert status was downgraded as a result of this issue, please let us know and we will be happy to reset the expert status of your account so you continue receiving free membership.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,
Brad
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (32)

Author Comment

Brad Rubin2015-05-06 06:56 PMID: 1731689
Comments were adjusted; they were hidden...it is the admin default. We should fix that too.

Expert Comment

> We should fix that too.

Yes, very good idea. :)

Expert Comment

Hi Brad,
The good news is that this morning's "article views last month" report fixed the bug that resulted in virtually zero views for April. The bad news is that the January, February, and March views averaged around 50% higher than the May views for most of my articles (I'll send you a spreadsheet with the details). Please let us know if (1) there's still a bug in the system or (2) the new way of counting views results in significantly fewer views being reported or (3) the EE traffic in viewing articles is truly down that much in May (compared to Jan/Feb/Mar). Thanks, Joe

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2015-06-02 05:25 PMID: 1736122
My total views were pretty normal last month.  

I'm curious though as to the 1,000/month I'm pulling on the Build your own SQL calendar table to perform complex date expressions article, especially since I just submitted it to SQL Saturday #453 as a session.    That and I'm only getting 2,000/month for all of my other articles combined.

The last time I submitted an EE article for a SQL Saturday it was accepted without anyone saying boo, and that was before I realized it was behind the paywall.

Intewwesting..

Expert Comment

John2015-06-02 06:38 PMID: 1736126
My views are accurate so far as I know. 2,863 views in May (record number because Outlook is popular); 66 in April; 378 in March; 485 in February; 635 in January; 1,272 in November, 2,645 in October (because Windows 10 is popular).

Expert Comment

I have zero confidence in the accuracy here. The data across 30+ articles shows that something is different in May compared to Jan-Feb-Mar — and I doubt that the difference is actual views...much more likely that it's the way EE is counting (or not counting) views. Just one author's perspective.