• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

EE SURVEY: Search Results Display

Hello!

I've put together a quick survey to help us at EE better understand what's most important to our members when viewing search results. If you could please take a few minutes to fill it out, we'd really appreciate it!
https://experts.wufoo.com/forms/m27l9su15qk81e/

And feel free to provide additional comments or questions about the survey in this discussion as well.

Thanks!
Brian
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (12)

Expert Comment

>>Are there any specific examples that come to mind?

I knew someone would ask...

I know Mark Wills had a very good example years ago about one of his articles.  Until I can either remember one or make up a new one, you might reach out to him.

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2015-05-06 04:13 PMID: 1731656
done

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2015-05-06 06:26 PMID: 1731685
was searching a personal knowledgebase covered? (I don't recall seeing it)... not that I use the kb feature much, I did try some while back

Expert Comment

> searching a personal knowledgebase

Searching MyPKb works well. I use it many times every day. I currently have 1,917 entries in MyPKb, and searching it is fast, as discussed in this article. All of that said, I'd like to see more robust searching features, such as stemming, any-words, all-words, exact phrase, Boolean, etc.

Expert Comment

>>any-words, all-words, exact phrase, Boolean, etc.

Have you seen the advanced search?

http://www.experts-exchange.com/advancedSearch.jsp

Expert Comment

> Have you seen the advanced search?

Yes, but Advanced Search is not available for searching MyPKb. Furthermore, Advanced Search does not support optional stemming, Boolean searches, and other advanced searching, like phonic, fuzzy, synonym, etc. These types of searches are available in high-end search tools, like dtSearch:

dtSearch search request
I'm not bashing EE's Search or Advanced Search — they're good, but there's room for making them better, especially for searching MyPKb. Regards, Joe