• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

The evolution of Windows

I found this to be entertaining. Can anyone tell us what Windows 10 will be like?

win-evolution.jpg
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (43)

Expert Comment

Nick672015-05-22 01:50 PMID: 1734352
where Windows is heading
The pundits tell us computers are going away.

The pundits are nearly universally journalism folks who spent a couple years of school running Macs.
That's the only reason you hear anything about a machine that has a whopping 4% market share.
They spend their lives composing text while running hither-skither, which is why you hear about the necessity/importance of mobile computing and the Cloud.  Most of us show up to a machine sitting at a desk.  Some of us haul a machine around.  Very few of us, but a very important few, need to be able to access everything from everywhere.  Those very few are about the same percentage as they were 5 years ago -- even 10.  The workplace has not changed dramatically.  Despite fools, backward compatibility remains king.  WIndows RT didn't really run Windows and didn't really run Office.  Nobody bought it.  You are beginning to hear the rumblings about the Surface 3 -- the first successful iPad that runs Windows.  Tools run Windows.  Toys run something else.  Sometimes you can use a toy to do a mission-critical job.
ATVs come to mind.  Generally not, though.

Human nature, proclivities, and ergonomics haven't changed.  People don't use Siri or Cortana or any other voice-activated UI  -- or speakerphone either --because they don't want to have everyone hear what they are doing.  I'm not reaching across my desktop get fingerprints on my monitor -- who'd want to do that all day?  Most 8/8.1 users want me to kill the Photo Live Tile and screenshow immediately.  "I don't want people looking at that!"  MS has missed the boat on how people will actually behave.

Windows isn't going anywhere.  Those places that really do need work--image editing; song, video, and photo organization; powerline Ethernet control of a host of IoT devices; a universal, native Windows OS interface to every big screen TV sold; evolution of HomeGroup to be a lot more like the domain model, to be able to be members of multiple HomeGroups; much better performance of streaming to media center extenders;  WiFi interfacing to cars, so I can say 'Start car' and my car will be started. etc.
All of those things we're still waiting on.
The Jobs thing about 'people don't know what they want until you give it to them' may be true enough, but so is the corollary 'If you give people something unknown, and they say the don't want it, you'd better believe them'

We'll see in the new guy at MS can grab the tiller and steer toward promising horizons.  The focus on the Cloud suggests he still lost in the fog.

Expert Comment

satsumo2015-05-23 07:13 AMID: 1734419
EE does have a very MS bias.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Expert Comment

Nick672015-05-25 09:11 AMID: 1734698
The world has a very MS bias
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
  Windows 7              58.39%
  Windows XP           15.93%
  Windows 8.1          11.16%
  Mac OS X 10.10       4.23%
  Windows 8               3.50%
  Windows Vista         1.95%
  Mac OS X 10.9          1.53%
  Linux                         1.52%
  Mac OS X 10.6         0.57%
  Mac OS X 10.7         0.46%
  Mac OS X 10.8         0.43%
  Mac OS X 10.5         0.11%
  Windows 10             0.09%
  Windows NT            0.08%
  Mac OS X 10.4         0.03%
  Windows 2000        0.02%
  Mac OS X (no version reported) 0.01%

Why would EE be focused on anything else?

Expert Comment

satsumo2015-05-25 11:44 AMID: 1734711
Thats a great example of my point, a chart of desktop operating system share.

Expert Comment

Nick672015-05-25 11:55 AMID: 1734712
No argument there :)
A chart showing that more than 90% of the world's desktop machines run MS software is great proof that a site devoted to general computing Q & A will be dominated by MS discussions.  After all, mobile machines are pretty much take-it or leave-it.  There is little or no scope for the end-user to do ANYTHING with them in terms of configuration or optimization.  No options means no Q & A discussions.  Software created for such devices is almost universally created on Windows-based desktop, so you are back to MS-based discussions again.

If you are running a machine that has the scope for you to optimize it -- or bugger it up royally -- enough to need to ask questions about how to do so, it is overwhelmingly likely to be running an MS operating system.

Expert Comment

John2015-05-26 06:07 AMID: 1734861
I have used DU Meter (Hageltech) for years (decades) as a traffic monitor. Inexpensive and it works.

New version yesterday (stable program without many new versions) to support Windows 10. New program traffic monitoring capability which is quite nice).

It no longer supports Windows XP.