• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

What is the status of removing the pay wall?

I know this has been up many times, but no improvement can be seen.

Recently I wished to provide a link to one of my bright solutions for a guy at stackoverflow as you can see:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/30374867/3527297

But instead of learning about EE as a place where clever solutions may be found, he met nothing but trouble and inferior messages like "google no more". Ultimately, he couldn't see anything else than my obtuse comments, while the full discussions are of value.

I would like to be able to create and provide a link to a full question including discussion and downloads. Please.

/gustav
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (18)

Author Comment

Gustav Brock2015-05-24 07:34 AMID: 1734532
Thanks Jim.
The link for an article works, as I recall - that's why I thought it worked for a question as well.

/gustav

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2015-05-28 05:58 PMID: 1735377
>>" ... many times happens the accepted solution i[s] not the best solution and many more times happens that the real solution arises reading a series of comment and following carefully the discussion. "

While I agree that the accepted answer is sometimes not the best answer, the counter argument to the statement above is that too many times the threads are full of inaccuracies and irrelevancies. A more meaningful summation of a Q&A in my opinion would be to list the accepted answer first, then all assisted answers (in descending point order then date/time), and then a link the the full thread if more is required.

Some years ago, before my membership here, EE results were frequently in the top 10 results of my technical searches but at that time the pay-wall denied access to any answer and as a consequence I  learned to avoid EE links as they would not be helpful. Had those early experiences allowed access to an answer (at all) I might have been a member way earlier. Today there is a double problem, EE is less often in the to 10 results and the pay-wall still inhibits a favourable first impression.

summary:
most Q&A sites have too much rubbish to sift through for searchers
a question with an answer, and assisted answers if needed, can be a useful first impression for searchers

Expert Comment

>>A more meaningful summation of a Q&A in my opinion would be to list the accepted answer first, then all assisted answers (in descending point order then date/time), and then a link the the full thread if more is required.

I disagree.  The way it is supposed to work is every comment is to build on those before it.  If you jumble up all the posts out of order, you'll be lost more than the answer is provided "in your face".

You'll end up with post orders like:
Z
W
E
H
B
A
C
D
F
G

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2015-05-28 06:27 PMID: 1735383
Yes, there is that potential, but ignoring assisted answers isn't good either.

please do note: "and then a link [to] the the full thread if more is required."

-------------
BTW: should an administrator remove the hyperlink from the SO reference in the discussion topic text?

i.e just remove the http://

Author Comment

Gustav Brock2015-05-28 10:46 PMID: 1735406
I see no reason to complicate matters. A link to the full thread is all that is needed.

You have the confusing example from the Microsoft Groups where - with a good intent - the top answer is listed first, then the remaining including the top answer and lots of credentials and quotations. It's a mess, and you often find yourselft browsing up and down the pages to get hold on the stuff and the pro and cons.

/gustav

Expert Comment

Can't second those thoughts enough.   Presenting comments out of sequence in a thread would be (and as gustav points out, actually is on the Microsoft site) confusing a best.

With that said, I see nothing wrong with a collapse/expand or summary/detail function.

Fully collapsed would show the question, assisted solutions, and the solution in sequence.    Expanded would should the full thread.  That would give you the best of both worlds.

Jim.