Top Contributors

EE Navigation

Anybody notice that the navigation thread (located just below the blue Ask, Solve, ...) bar has recently changed?

It used to be that when you went to a question, it would display the drilldown of the various topic areas to show where the question was posted.  Something like:

Experts ExchangeDatabaseAccess >  Question Title

It no longer does that, is this a result of the effort to eliminate topic areas?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (15)

Expert Comment

The other issue here too is how do you reach everyone?

That's been a problem at EE for years.  For example, how would I contact every Expert in the Access TA  (or on the site for that matter) if a change was made that just impacted Experts?

Right now I can't and neither can EE.  The only avenues right now are the newsletter (which is a shadow of it's former self and comes out infrequently now), or places like this, which most members don't even know exist.

and one common complaint that's been heard is "too many e-mails".

as I said, a number of factors are going into this.

Jim.

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2015-05-29 07:54 AMID: 1735491
> how do you reach everyone?

That is a valid concern.
If the changes are really that wide and deep, an option could be to send a simple mail to all like:
Major changes are under the way at EE during the next xx months.
If you wish to be kept informed about the progress, please sign up here: <link>

Alternatively, visit this page <link> from time to time.
/gustav

Expert Comment

Nick672015-05-29 08:39 AMID: 1735494
Whitespace and contrast
Whitespace and contrast
Whitespace and contrast
Whitespace and contrast
Whitespace and contrast
Whitespace and contrast
Whitespace and contrast
FIX THE WHITESPACE AND CONTRAST ALREADY!!!!!!!!
1680 X 1050 screen and I am staring at a lightbulb that has 66 words of original content printed on it in light grey.
They do seem to have reverted the right-hand messages-notifcations slideout somewhat.
It is back to auto-dismissing and more compact text.
The rollout of May 11 changes was atrocious.
Initial load is still slower than my recollection of before, but today is better.

Nick67

Expert Comment

<<1680 X 1050 screen and I am staring at a lightbulb that has 66 words of original content printed on it in light grey.>>

Smaller monitor and/or less resolution?

Jim.

Expert Comment

That was a tongue in cheek idea<g>.

I think you'll find the new pages more to your liking on white space, maybe even contrast too, but the overall trend with everything these days is that "washed out" look so it's friendly for mobile.

I have to add, I read gustav's article on the metro style interface in Access, and the first thought that popped into my head was "It looks like windows 3.11!"

Everything is flat with a lot of white space.  

Progress.

Jim.

Expert Comment

Nick672015-05-29 09:41 AMID: 1735503
I may blow in Win 10 on the weekend.
The HDD in my laptop is going south, so a new drive and a new OS might be amusing.
My understanding is that Aero is back.
I'll send you a message shortly.
My understanding is that Google doesn't see those.

Nick67