• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Navigation Bar Preference

Hi Experts,

We would like to understand your preference when it comes to the light blue bar (Ask, Solve, Learn, Network, Contribute, Topics) in the navigation.

Do you like that the light blue navigation bar retracts when you scroll down? Or would your prefer it remaining visible when you scroll down?

Navigation
Please let us know your preference.

Brenae Noack
Engagement Manager
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (36)

Expert Comment

Gareth Gudger2015-06-04 03:46 PMID: 1736538
I think its fine how it is.

Expert Comment

serialband2015-06-04 03:56 PMID: 1736539
I don't want to hover either.  I rather have it on the side.

Expert Comment

John2015-06-04 04:11 PMID: 1736543
Change comes my friend.

Expert Comment

Rob2015-06-04 04:16 PMID: 1736544
I'll put it our there too to have the menu on the side. Like Google has in gmail and in the app (ee and gmail for that matter).

I'm also a fan of the drawer that's just a menu that slides in and out from the side.

Expert Comment

Rob2015-06-04 04:17 PMID: 1736545
To add to that point of the menu on the side that gives maximum vertical real estate for any kind of device.

Expert Comment

serialband2015-06-04 11:31 PMID: 1736604
Change doesn't have to suck like this.  I welcome good change.  I like new things that are done well.   I like the side information bar that's currently there.  It's less obtrusive there and I don't need to focus on it.  If we had the old 4:3 monitors, it wouldn't matter as much, but we're stuck with these TV/Movie Screens.

The "drawer" is unnecessary extra coding and currently only goes away when you scroll up.  It comes back down when you scroll down or hover, taking up valuable vertical space.  I don't mind the hover itself, just the way it behaves.  It should go away when you don't hover.  I also don't want it coming down when I scroll.  There's no need for it to be there unless I want it there.  There's no point in having it come down if my cursor isn't going to be near it.  It's annoying, like the old <blink> tags, not cool, except for possibly the first few seconds it got noticed.  I like them to remain in place.  Don't choose for me.  I don't like my Dock or my Task bar disappearing either.  I keep them in place.  I understand some people like them to hide away until they mouse over them, but that's mainly because of the widescreens with a lack of vertical space, not because it's ergonomically useful.

I'd rather have menu on the side, than having an "invisible menu" that you must force away to gain vertical real estate.  Get rid of the bottom link shares too. They're not as bad on the bottom, but I don't need them there either.  They can go on the sides as well.  It should fit with the top bar.  I want to scroll down and page down as infrequently as possible.

<rant>
We use 8-1/2" x 11" or A4 paper for a reason.  It's a comfortable format and orientation for reading.  Books have similar orientation.  It's mainly little kids picture books have the "rotated" or widescreen orientation.

The Xerox Alto did it right.  We cheaped out with 4:3 format because that was standard TV and relatively cheap at the start.  Then came higher resolution VGA and the rotating monitor to 3:4.  I used those and kept them rotated.  We then took 2 or 3 steps backwards to ride along with the LCD HD TV industry.  I kept the 1600x1200 external for as long as I could until it dimmed and "larger diagonal", better resolution screens finally came out.  I've even "repaired" them by replacing the faulty capacitors in the power regulator units.
</rant>