• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Received Points in One Topic Only? Why?

Yesterday I solved this question: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web_Development/Web_Languages-Standards/HTML/Q_28686709.html#a40815782

The user selected 2 topics, but I received Points in HTML only not in CSS. Why?

I received a email of accepting the ans email. Here is the attached file.

email.png
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (16)

Expert Comment

and I get designated expert in topics I'm not very familiar with..  I have to keep pruning them..

Expert Comment

_2015-06-09 10:23 PMID: 1737292
>>  I have to keep pruning them..

oh yeah.    : D

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-06-10 09:31 AMID: 1737351
But I have Points in TA's I have never heard of, let alone wander into on purpose.
That could have happened for a few reasons:
1. When EE added the topic areas, it migrated questions based on fairly simple queries that weren't very accurate, such that almost everyone had a lot of points in the Adobe Type Manager topic area (14,000+ solutions were added to the TA, when there were exactly three questions about that software).
2. When someone asks a question about something specific and doesn't get responses, the Mods and Topic Advisors will add topic areas in order to get more people looking at the question. The result is that a WordPress configuration type question will have the PHP topic area, for example. Hundreds of questions that get Web Languages/Standards added to them will add up to points for you, even if you don't know much about anything other than HTML.
3. Askers are prone -- or certainly were prone -- to put their questions almost anywhere; let's be polite and say that we've seen questions asked in some quite perplexing combinations.

and I get designated expert in topics I'm not very familiar with
That's because the system is automated. Once you hit the magic threshold (150k points in a single TA or 300k point overall), then when you reach 15,000 points in a topic area, it's automatically added to your list. It can get removed -- but I won't swear that an occasional upgrade to the system doesn't allow the system to add it back in again.

Netminder
Senior Admin

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-06-12 07:49 AMID: 1737755
Edwin,

We're going to be doing some testing, so don't be surprised if you see a number of emails regarding the question and your point totals going up and down.

Netminder
Senior Admin

Author Comment

Edwin Hoffer2015-06-12 08:47 AMID: 1737778
Okay no issue :)

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-06-12 01:31 PMID: 1737825
Check now... according to the good folks in the office, this should be fixed.