• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

New Topic Suggestions for Experts Exchange

Hello everyone,

Experts Exchange has recently made some changes to our topic system that will allow us to add new topics to the site much more quickly. We have our eye on what keywords the membership is searching for in the ask question form to see if we can identify any trends, but we also wanted to reach out to the expert community for ideas.

What topics would you like to see added to Experts Exchange?

These can be topics you see people asking about already with no matching topic, technologies you work with, or tech you will be working with in the near future. We're looking for anything that you can see yourself answering questions on, or learning more about through articles and videos.

Once we get an idea of the most popular suggestions, we can move forward with giving them their very own place on the site.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing your suggestions!

Sina
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (12)

Expert Comment

Rob2015-06-15 02:21 PMID: 1738334
+1 for what Scott has said for JavaScript MV frameworks. Bootstrap wouldn't hurt either given it's a combination of html, css and js
Also server side MVC such as codeigniter, cakePHP, laravel, sailsjs, modx and the .net variations

Expert Comment

Scott Fell, EE MVE2015-06-15 03:59 PMID: 1738352
Rob, what do you think of "Front End Web Development" as a generic topic?

Expert Comment

Rob2015-06-15 05:10 PMID: 1738357
Good as a parent topic but otherwise too generic IMO. It would otherwise become like WordPress and PHP, where for all intents and purposes have become separate entities.  I've seen the debates already  with jQuery and JavaScript, let alone Angular and JavaScript. They're not quite there but I can see JavaScript becoming as insignificant in a sense, when using these platforms with the use of 3rd party code generation tools etc

Expert Comment

Scott Fell, EE MVE2015-06-15 05:41 PMID: 1738363
It all depends on what Experts have signed up to receive notif's for.  If a javascript sub topic like Angular goes live, it should automatically be added to Expert notif's if they selected javascript. Otherwise, it may not be useful.    Perhaps selecting "Front End Web Development" auto selects the topics; HTML, CSS, Javascript, Jquery

Expert Comment

<<Rob, what do you think of "Front End Web Development" as a generic topic? >>

<<Good as a parent topic but otherwise too generic IMO. >>

To that point, when making suggestions keep in mind that we (EE) has been down this road before; I think it was something like over 1200 TA's were added in an attempt to cover everything and anything and the net result was no one knew where to put anything.     I took years to un-do that mess.

New topics should be added only after careful consideration and it should be as few as possible.  Forth coming site changes are going to make this conversation a moot point anyway for the most part.

My .02,
Jim.

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2015-06-17 10:58 AMID: 1738770
>Rob, what do you think of "Front End Web Development" as a generic topic?
You people are too funny, unless that was intended as a subtopic under 'How to identify amateurs'.