Top Contributors

Site Accessibility

I posted a link to one of my recent articles on a couple of Linked In groups that I belong to and received a complaint from one of the members indicating that they could only see 1/2 of the article without signing up to EE.

I could swear we were told that this behavior was going to change so that people who are not EE members were going to be able to read the entire content of articles and search for answers that already exist without signing up.  Was I mistaken?

I just logged out and entered the url for my article and sure enough, I was only able to see 1/2 of the article without creating a new userid.  EE is not going to get new members if they continue this behavior.  Allowing people to search for answers (not ask questions) and read articles is one sure way to get traffic to the site, but forcing them to create a user account is not going to encourage that.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (11)

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2015-06-26 08:44 AMID: 1740362
Dale is right. You shouldn't have to think twice before sending a link.

Jim, I understood from another thread that this topic is under reconstruction. How does it proceed?

/gustav

Expert Comment

@Dale,

I've asked Eric to drop in.   As far as sharing, I'm 100% positive the short URL allows a full read of an article.

The other buttons I would assume so, but there your linking content to your other account, not posting a link directly.  Not sure how/where  that shows up in various places.

EE is aware of the sharing issue and this is their choice.  I will mention it again, but it boils down to how much do you give away for free and what do you charge for.  What EE is doing is not unlike many other sites and many have started to move to a freemium model; some parts are free and others you pay for.

Keep in mind too that the bar has been lowered considerably for getting and keeping a membership.

@gustav,

Not quite sure what you mean. There are a number of projects in the works.

Jim.

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2015-06-26 09:16 AMID: 1740377
I think I had the impression that it was in the pipe-line to enable the option to provide a link to one single complete thread.

The idea should be that a link will guide new people to EE, while copy/paste of ones gold nuggets to some other site will not.

/gustav

Expert Comment

mbizup2015-06-26 08:14 PMID: 1740418
Those short URLs, which are also behind many image links such as the featured articles unfortunately are blocked on our large government network, and probably elsewhere.  I can't recall the exact message - something about 'black hole sites'. There is a wealth of information in EE articles, but between the paywall and the blocked pages, the site at the surface looks kind of sketchy to prospective users there.

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-06-26 09:30 PMID: 1740420
I'll see what I can get from TPTB in terms of their long-term goals, and get some specifics on the "half-article" issue.

I do know that if you use EE's systems to send the link to an article (like the email link or the sharing buttons at the bottom of the page), then the recipient -- member or not -- should be able to see the entire article; if that's not the case, then there's a problem.

Miriam,

I'm guessing that the shortened URLs are giving false positives because they're not a "true" EE link (i.e. they get redirected through some metric-related site). I'll definitely pass that along as well (though I know it's been done at least once before). It won't do EE any good to measure the success of a system that can't be used.

N

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2015-06-27 12:28 AMID: 1740436
Add to this, that the full links to EE articles and questions really aren't that long.

If the special links are provided as a keyhole through the paywall, this could easily be done by pointing to a subdomain of EE together with a key.

/gustav