Top Contributors

What is your favorite linux desktop environment and why?

I've briefly tried a few desktop environments now and have one that I consider my favorite. I'm curious what everyone else's preferences are and why that is. I'm not looking to start a flame war. Let's have a constructive discussion please.

Personally I like XFCE. I find it to be lightweight and trouble free. When I used Cinnamon I would run into bugs on a daily basis. When I used Mate I found it simple and lacking. New versions of Gnome are too strange and bloated for me.

Expert Comment

Jason Carson2016-01-14 04:41 PMID: 1884574
I was using Unity on Ubuntu for quite a while but once I tried Cinnamon I was sold. I like Cinnamon. Performance is good, haven't run into bugs as has been your experience and it's a great traditional desktop environment. I find it intuitive to use, it has the features I want and I can customize it to my tastes. I look forward to checking out Unity 8 on Mir if it is included in the next Ubuntu release but until then I'll be using Cinnamon.

Expert Comment

tsr82016-02-05 11:11 AMID: 1893827
Since Ubuntu 12.04 I use Gnome 3 (called Gnome Shell). Love it. Perform very fast. Optimal use of screen space. Well known Gnome applications.

Expert Comment

Jason Carson2017-04-05 02:24 PMID: 1985590
Just read Unity is history. The article also suggests Ubuntu is switching to Wayland, apparently Mir is history too.

Thus far it seems the default GUI is going to be powered by Wayland and Gnome. I wonder if Unity will be forked.