• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Every time the site is redesigned, you invalidate my bookmarks

It's a pain in the neck to find my topics again, figure out how to list open questions, and then replace bookmarks....
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (12)

Expert Comment

Ravi Agrawal2015-08-11 07:39 PMID: 1748395
I agree with you on this one, asavener.

Expert Comment

Catherine Burow2015-08-12 10:11 AMID: 1748576
asavener,

We are so sorry to hear that we've caused so much frustration for you with the recent changes. In July, we revamped the home page to show your followed topics and saved search lists (along with a few other features) so that you access them more easily. But I completely understand the frustration of losing your bookmarks - I rely heavily on bookmarks as well for all aspects of my work and it's a pain to have to update them all the time.

It looks like you already have 3 saved searches set up, so they will all appear on your home page. Are there other pages or tools that you use frequently that aren't as easily accessible? We'd like to work toward providing our members with the tools they need in place of bookmarks and work-arounds.

Catherine Burow
Community Support Manager | Experts Exchange

Expert Comment

aikimark2015-08-12 10:21 AMID: 1748584
@Catherine

Do you understand that business continuity is YOUR responsibility?  If you were going to remove a feature, it was incumbent on you to do the following:

1. Alert ALL EE members of the change at least six months in advance of the change
2. Provide some actions, preferably automated, that the EE member could take to do their part of the migration
3. Better than #2, do the feature migration yourselves.  You would have notified the EE members of the change and how the feature would appear/behave after the change.
4. (optional) add a link to the new feature location in the place where the old/replaced feature was invoked on the UI.  This should probably remain in place for 3-6 months with messages indicating that the link would disappear.

As developers and product owners, you have to manage the expectations of your user base (members/ZAs/Mods/Admins).  You are currently failing in that regard.  You are acting like Steve Balmer, who famously didn't give a crap.  He did whatever he wanted to do.

Author Comment

asavener2015-08-12 10:46 AMID: 1748596
I realize that you have to keep updating the site, but I think this is the second time in a year that something like this has happened.

I don't go to a home page.  I don't want to go to a home page.  I just want to kill some time, and I prefer this to reading about the Kardashians.

I've figured out a workaround, but now I have two clicks instead of one to view open questions on the topics I feel like discussing.

Y'all don't pay me enough to constantly re-learn how to help people, though....

Expert Comment

Catherine Burow2015-08-14 03:00 PMID: 1749152
@aikimark,

I agree that we need to improve our communication with the community as a whole and that it is on us as the developers to provide a transition that is as seamless as possible. This will become a primary focus during the development stages of our new features and enhancements to our current tools and features. I appreciate your candid feedback, aikimark. The suggestions you made are excellent goals for us to work towards as we continue to improve our communication and transparency.

Catherine Burow

Expert Comment

aikimark2015-08-14 05:58 PMID: 1749183
@Catherine

While I can appreciate your stated efforts going forward, my comments were addressed to all the current and past professional software developers, professional designers, professional testers, and product owners at SLO.  What are you actually going to do?  What SDLC changes are going to be made?  What processes will be in place by the end of this quarter to prevent/minimize disruptive changes being introduced?

I got a taste of the level of dysfunctional development at SLO at the CORE conferences, especially 2010.  It wasn't very professional and the attendees (mostly top experts) were ignored as a tap-able resource.