Top Contributors

You learn something new every day

Access has been around a long time, and at this point in time with the experience we all have, we might think there's nothing new to learn about it.
Especially since MS seems bound and determined not to add the new features that we as devs would like.
Instead they add features for SharePoint and Azure which is not really what most of us want to use Access for.

But when you DO learn something new about Access, please feel free to chime in.
I'll go first!

Nick67
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (11)

Author Comment

Nick672015-10-13 10:14 AMID: 1775782
how about 'Do Events'.. wont that help
Not in regard to the quirk with Open() when sent directly to the printer -- I don't think so, anyway.
DoEvents is call that tells VBA to permit all other system events occur.
The Open() event works swimmingly in Preview -- but unless a global variable/event is called, it doesn't fire on a direct print event.

I just answered a Q where an Asker couldn't get a report to print a PDF despite a similar code structure to what he has always done in calling for the PDF creation.
Turns out that all his previous reports had called global subs/functions in their Open() event and had worked just fine.

His new, simple report did make that kind of call -- and didn't work right as a result.

Expert Comment

I just learned from Jeff that conditional formatting was expanded to allow for many rules.   He went up to 21 and didn't try further, but I believe the old limit was 4.

Jim.

Author Comment

Nick672015-10-13 11:55 AMID: 1775835
Some of the A2016 specs are here
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Access-2016-specifications-0cf3c66f-9cf2-4e32-9568-98c1025bb47c
It's a little easier to find that it was previously, as I have googled for similar documents over the years, and it used to be like pulling teeth.

This is the irksome one

Number of controls and sections that you can add over the lifetime of the form or report

I've come close to hitting that number.
Getting close to it can corrupt the object.
Not fun

Apparently A2010+ can do 50 rules for conditional formatting.
A2003 was three rules plus a default state.
https://blogs.office.com/2011/04/06/power-tip-supercharge-conditional-formatting-by-using-a-bit-of-code/

Expert Comment

<<Number of controls and sections that you can add over the lifetime of the form or report

>>

That's the published spec, but it's well over that.      I ran tests on every version at one point a handful of years back, and each version has allowed more and more controls.  It's was over a 1,000 now (think A2010 was the last one I checked...will try and find the post).

Jim.

Author Comment

Nick672015-10-29 04:37 PMID: 1803055
Sigh.
MS never fixed the bug they introduced with Split Forms in A2007 that caused immense destruction (GPF in A2007 SP0 and hangs in later versions if you tried things like Me.Detail.Height = 0 to suck whitespace out a section when a subreport had no data.

So I have many subreports that are 0.0007 height and CanGrow.

I appear to have another:
    If Application.Version < 12 Then
        Me.subSideboomDetails.Left = 0.0104 * 1440
        Me.subSideboomDetails.Width = 1440 * (7.77 - 0.0729) ' 7.6049 * 1440
    Else
        Me.subSideboomDetails.Left = 0.0104 * 1440
        'Me.subSideboomDetails.Width = Me.Width
    End If

Open in new window

If I try to adjust the subreport's width in A2010+, Access hangs -- and yet this worked just fine in A2003.
So now, I have to overlap controls because the stupid subreport can't be grown dynamically through code.

Big waste of an afternoon :(

Expert Comment

It's things like this that just drive me up a wall with Microsoft.  They never go back and fix anything.  

And they wonder why their having problems.  People do want features yes, but more fundamentally they want features that work.

Jim.