• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

EE agreements with Software House

In this thread http://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28801059/External-Hard-Drive-can%27t-be-recognized-by-Windows.html#a41180846
I discovered that EE has an agreement with Paragon Software. This agreement allows to any EE member with more than 50,000 points to get any Paragon product for free.
I open this discussion not just to inform all experts about this, but even to ask if it's available a list of all agreements between EE and other software houses. It could  be a great resource indeed!
In addition, I'm sure every expert would have some suggestion for future agreements too :-)
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (21)

Author Comment

Marco Gasi2015-11-03 12:21 PMID: 1811514
@netminder: thank you. That is what I was wondering: Now I know it :-)
Best to all.

Expert Comment

serialband2015-11-03 01:18 PMID: 1811655
It's not free.  Please read the license properly.

It's for an evaluation that's not to be used in any production environment.  You get a 30 day evaluation as part of PTAC (Paragon's Technology Advisory Council) and agree to report any and all problems directly to Paragon.  You can't assign or sell your PTAC license to other parties and Paragon owns the license.  It's not for personal use or business.  It's only for evaluation purposes.

If you've been using it for beyond the 30 days without written approval, then you've broken their license.

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-11-03 01:27 PMID: 1811694
If you've been using it for beyond the 30 days without written approval, then you've broken their license.

Stipulated. At the time I downloaded the original, however, it was under the terms of the agreement (meaning it was a live copy, not an evaluation version, and there was no expectation on Paragon's part that they would get anything other than the review and whatever publicity they got from it).

Expert Comment

serialband2015-11-03 02:53 PMID: 1811914
noxcho is giving incorrect or misleading information in the thread.  Some moderator should correct him.

Expert Comment

WhackAMod2015-11-03 03:13 PMID: 1811954
noxcho, et al.

Consider yourselves corrected.  

Thank you, serialband.  Your contribution and adherence to the ToU is appreciated.

Expert Comment

serialband2015-11-03 04:13 PMID: 1812014
The thread still has incorrect information.  Your correction is incorrect.  The offer is still available and not defunct.  Paragon still offers a PTAC evaluation for 30 days.  It's just not free for production use and shouldn't be advertised as such.

I just follow the law, not because of EE's incorrect ToU.  In this case, it was definitely not a purchase, since no money was transferred.  If it was a purchase, the consumer should own it.  If a user was in the EU and paid money for the software, then they would own it.  The same goes for software purchased before the 9th Circuit Court ruling and any current software that doesn't have the strict license restriction terms.  Consumer law still supersedes EULA in those cases.