• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Require country or time zone in EE Profile

Hi Folks,
I think it's a good idea to require a member to put his/her country, or at least the time zone, in the EE Profile. I suspect some folks may disagree due to privacy concerns, but that's why I'm posting the idea here — to generate some discussion on it. Of course, even if it is a required field in the Profile, there's no guarantee that the member will be honest in entering it, but I think it's worth trying, and I'm confident that most members will be honest about it. It would be helpful during an active thread to know the time zones of the participating contributors. Regards, Joe
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (37)

Expert Comment

DrTribos2015-11-12 12:21 PMID: 1828914
It's just information, it's not like it's "power"...

Why? Just because...  I think it'd be a 'nice' feature.  

Nothing to do with question locking.

Expert Comment

Jan Springer2015-11-12 12:22 PMID: 1828915
A "feature" is not the same as a "requirement".  I think that you will find that those who oppose this suggestion recognize the distinction.

Expert Comment

DrTribos2015-11-12 12:27 PMID: 1828934
Thanks for clearing that up. Feature != Requirement. Was guessing that all along but really nice to have it spelt out so clearly. Glad I used the right word 😂

Expert Comment

serialband2015-11-12 05:31 PMID: 1829494
If anyone had real urgency to have questions answered, they would have a service contract with 24/7 on site and phone service for their emergency needs.  If you ask on a forum, then you should expect delays.  You get lucky at times because there are people from various time zones that participate.  Long ago, EE sort of locks a question from new users by tagging the questions.  When a question has been tagged showing that an "Expert" has answered it, it dissuades many newer users/Experts from answering.

EE should more prominently show that the experts are all volunteers and that this is basically a glorified discussion forum.  Instead it tells people that they'll get one-on-on assistance and promote the site in a way to mislead people into believing that all of us are somehow employed be EE.  You have to dig through the fine print to discover that the assistance is from some random volunteer that's not in the direct employ of EE.

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2015-11-13 10:12 AMID: 1830674
btw This question is an example of how the member contry/timezone would add value, as the string '115,89' is either 115 point 89 and the country of origin uses the comma for the point, or it's two strings separated by a comma.

Expert Comment

Jan Springer2015-11-13 10:33 AMID: 1830715
I don't accept that anymore than I presume to think that 07/10/15 is Oct 7 2015 from someone in another country.  Always ask and clarify.