• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

New Android Phone - Any App Recommendations for a nerdy IT Engineer

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded from an iPhone (hold the abuse!) to my lovely new Android.  

Does anyone have any recommendations for Apps?  Not just IT apps, anything interesting really.    

Dave
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (13)

Expert Comment

Éric Moreau2015-12-01 07:08 AMID: 1860774
ThomasMcA2, your link is more then 3 years ago. There is surely something more recent than this!

Expert Comment

It depends on several things.  I personally think remote tools are extremely important, so things like:
TeamViewer, Remote RDP RD Client and Remote Desktop for Chrome are musts.

In terms of network discovery tools not mentioned:
Network Scanner
Ping & DNS

Wifi:
I love Wifi Analyzer mentioned in that article and use it all the time.
WiFinder
WiFi-FTP

I use the InfraDog app Server Admin (10 or less devices to monitor are free after that it is paid)

And you need a good backup app, which depends on whether you root your phone.

Non-rooted - MyBackup Pro
Rooted - Titanium Backup

Author Comment

David Atkin2015-12-01 07:37 AMID: 1860955
Thanks for your comments Thomas :),

I've got the basic remote programs.  TeamViewer, LogMeIn and the Microsoft RDP client are all installed

Installed a basic Telnet program (Mocha)

Installed 'Fing' as my IP Scanner - I had it on the iPhone and it does the job

The wifi Analyser does look impressive and its been put on there :) - Love the thought of Wifi-FTP so that's been put on.

I'll have a look at InfraDog - Thanks

I'm not bothered about rooting the phone at the moment - That will come later.  I will have a look at MyBackup Pro.

Thanks again

Expert Comment

Éric Moreau2015-12-01 07:40 AMID: 1860994
Don't forget an Antivirus. Eset is my best buddy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eset.ems2.gp&hl=en

Author Comment

David Atkin2015-12-01 07:43 AMID: 1861015
That was the third thing I downloaded :).  Thanks Eric

Expert Comment

I'm not thrilled with ESET, I've had great experiences with Trustgo (trustgo.com) and lookout is good as far as it goes.  In terms of MyBackup Pro (rerware), I like the Pro version, mainly for the ability to backup to my own computer.  That is the same reason I like Crashplan free edition for home - backing up to a local USB drive is free.  BTW, I also have the Crashplan app on my phone, although you can't use it to backup your phone.  On the other hand, my work uses Druva's inSync, which has a phone version that backs up you android nicely.  I am working with the devs there to get rid of a glitch they are having on my phone (the android\data\com.wsl.noom directory won't backup - it contains the DB for my Noom exercise program).