• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Question Closing Survey

Hi Experts,

For those of you I have not met, my name is Brenae and I am a Senior Product Manager here at Experts Exchange.

We are looking to improve the question closing process and would love to get your feedback on what is valuable to you as the contributors.

Please take a moment complete this survey: https://experts.wufoo.com/forms/m1j6vsfa0a8ltlu/

Thank you for your participation, your feedback is very valuable to us!

- Brenae
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (70)

Expert Comment

I have just looked at a neglected question. It was asked clearly but not something I know about. If I was desperate for points I may have googled a bit and offered something, but I don't think this would help the asker much if at all.
It made me think of this thread and the line of questions wondering if higher points and grading would increase the quality of the answer.
A definite no. Higher points, even the extra 200 would not increase the quality of any answer I could give. I know nothing of the subject so posting an answer would more likely lead to inaccuracy and confusion.
I think it's much better that I leave it alone

Expert Comment

Rob2015-12-24 11:39 AMID: 1874014
Hence the flaw in the neglected system, not the question itself

Expert Comment

I have answered questions after receiving an email from my neglected search filter thing. It did bring them to my attention when I probably wouldn't have seen them otherwise. The status is ok, and I don't mind the points. I'm just saying that offering the points wouldn't improve the quality of my answer.

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-12-25 10:21 AMID: 1874374
Robin,

I'm just saying that offering the points wouldn't improve the quality of my answer.
I'd argue that based on results, though I don't blame the NQ system for this exclusively, the extra points have overall reduced the quality of answers. While you may have the good sense to recognize that your searched-for response might not add anything to the question, a good percentage of the population doesn't have that same good sense.

N

Expert Comment

Nick672015-12-28 08:40 AMID: 1875434
Thibault St john Cholmondeley-ffeatherstonehaugh2015-12-24 12:09 PMID: 1874001
And in many ways we roll around to what was discussed at length here
http://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/172/Should-top-experts-stop-answering-questions.html

I have just looked at a neglected question. It was asked clearly but not something I know about. If I was desperate for points I may have googled a bit and offered something, but I don't think this would help the asker much if at all.
That's actually a poor assumption.  I don't ask many questions, and it is rare that I actually get an Answer I don't come up with myself, up to have logical, inquisitive, fresh minds to help me question my own assumptions and the methodology of my troubleshooting can be invaluable.

It made me think of this thread and the line of questions wondering if higher points and grading would increase the quality of the answer.
 A definite no. Higher points, even the extra 200 would not increase the quality of any answer I could give. I know nothing of the subject so posting an answer would more likely lead to inaccuracy and confusion.
 I think it's much better that I leave it alone

Again no, nothing motivates some Experts (me included) to jump in on a Q than to see inaccuracies being posted.  Sometimes the assumption with a neglected Q is that 'someone more knowledgeable will get to this tough one' or 'that's simple, I'll leave that one to someone looking for easy points.'  This is a community of smart people who can parse technical documentation.  Rarely is any well-intentioned comment going to be harmful.

Expert Comment

>nothing motivates some Experts (me included) to jump in on a Q than to see inaccuracies being posted.
I hadn't thought of that. You just proved it!
So yes, with that phenomenomenom taken into account higher points will gain better answers.