• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Dark clouds for Windows 10 Users?

This is a discussion rather than a question because I wish to invite comments. My initial comments are well documented in my articles.

I have a ThinkPad X230 that was new in 2013 and which came with Windows 8. I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 (different operating system) and then on August 6 just past to Windows 10 Pro Build 10420. In mid-November, I upgraded to Build 10586. All is well so far.

I just got and implemented a new ThinkCenter M73 new at the end of 2015 and which came with Windows 10 Pro Build 10240. I installed Build 10586, took my Windows 7 desktop out of service and installed my software on the new Windows 10 machine. All is well so far.

I have an elderly ThinkPad T61p new in 2008 that runs Windows 7. I tried to upgrade this to Windows 10 and this experiment failed because there were no drivers for Video or Network. The lack of a Video driver was the knockout factor. This machine was restored to Windows 7 and continues to be a spare machine.

Now:  I have (from a client) a ThinkPad T410 that is nearly 5 years old and came with Windows 7. I upgraded this machine to Windows 10 and the results were not spectacular. The upgrade succeeded but I have Stopped Working errors on Windows Explorer and some built-in Apps that I have not been able to fix. I tried SFC and DISM and all things I suggest in here.

So then I thought upgrading to Windows 10 Build 10586 would help because 10586 fixes lots of earlier bugs. No way. The Windows Update ran "forever" and broke. Further my attempt to use the Media Creation link (which I have used before) failed and it also tried to check for updates "forever" . So this machine will go out of service. For this particular client a new Windows 10 ThinkPad is the proper way forward.

But now think about all this - and here is the discussion point.

A five year old machine upgrades to Build 10240, fails to get to Build 10586 and can no longer run ANY updates of any kind. Likely a hardware incompatibility.

But what about all the other users who did upgraded older machines and now cannot upgrade to Build 10586?  Such users exist in this forum and myself and others are trying to help without success.

What about me in a year?  Is Build 11234 going to fail on my X230?

Has Microsoft led us down the garden path?  Too bad for you if you took our advice and installed Build 10240 but can no longer update and run new Builds. Your machine is toast.

I really would have expected any machine that successfully ran Build 10240 to run new Builds. But that is not the case.

What about you?  When will your machine quit working?

What good is any machine that cannot run updates?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (102)

Expert Comment

Ben Hart2016-01-21 12:49 PMID: 1888298
Within a year, new computers will only run Windows 10, not Windows 8 or anything earlier.

HA! Yeah OK I'll make you a bet John. $100 for by the end of 2016 ALL new computers will easily be able to run Windows versions from 7 - 8.1.  There's no way in hell that will happen.

ANYTHING you can do in Windows 7 I can do just as fast or faster in Windows 10

Really? I can outrun you on foot.  What does that have to do with this argument?  Not a damn thing just like telling Nick that you can out click him.

I'm done with this particular soapbox you've created.  The initial thought was ok but you've let your personal biases skew this into an almost fanatical worshiping of what more often than not thus far, is considered a sub-par OS.  Windows 10 with it's privacy-busting, password sharing, convoluted administration having 'features' I believe will be the next Windows ME.

Author Comment

John2016-01-21 01:14 PMID: 1888304
Like I said earlier. use whatever you want. I do not care what you use.

I would not use anything as bad as you portray. No one would

So I give in to you. Clearly my computer is broken and not working.

Expert Comment

Nick672016-01-21 01:35 PMID: 1888315
Sigh.
Vista SP0 had, for me, one very bad showstopper.
Copying a 100 MB file from SBS2003 to XP took 15 seconds
Same operation for Vista SP0 was around 4 minutes.
That was bad, broken and not working, and that unit sat in a box until SP1 was released.

Access 2007 introduced the Ribbon and Nav Pain; and removed the Database Window, the ability to view the Properties window in Form View, and hid important things like the VBA editor and Compact & Repair in obscure places in a Ribbon that had to be altered by mastering a very ugly XML syntax.  The Help system was vastly inferior to that which came before.  Touching old projects with it broke references, and creating new objects in it and altering them in previous versions led promptly to corruption.  All-in-all it was a horror and got removed.

Access 2010 made the Ribbon useable for the end user, and the re-arrangement of items and configurability meant that it could be rolled out to users not doing development.  But Access 2003 still remains a better platform for the maintenance of existing projects.

Access 2013 brought nothing new and useful to the party.  A common sentiment is that it is ugly.  But a hammer doesn't need to be pretty.  It just need to work.  So it is deployed.

Win 10 is not '...broken and not working.'
Like Access 2013, it really doesn't bring anything new and useful to the party.
Like an ugly, quirky Estwing hammer it works.
You just have to be careful not to swing-and-miss with wet gloves because it'll fly out of your hand and smash your toes.
Quirks to work around with no real payoff in productivity.

Let's put it this way.
200M devices run Win 10 because it was free and it won't be free after 29-Jul-2016
If it had been the usual ~$120 US for the upgrade what would that number be?

Hands in the air, all those who would pay for a Win 7-to-Win 10 upgrade?
Anyone? Anyone at all?

I'm not seeing many hands in the air, John.

Expert Comment

Dave Baldwin2016-01-21 01:44 PMID: 1888316
I figure I'll still be running Windows XP and a couple of Windows 7 computers for a while longer.  And a couple of Linux machines.  My MacBook Pro broke last week, I'll get it fixed when I can afford it.  But I am unlikely to get Win 8.1 or Win 10 machine until i get one that came with it.  The only time I have 'upgraded' a computer was from XP Home to XP Pro.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2016-01-21 11:11 PMID: 1888555
@john : i really have a hard time to understand your point.

you started this thread because of an unacceptably faulty upgrade process, and end up defending the undefendable like your life was at stake

i won't discuss the UI. personally i like change. but i really really hate 8 and above. that's essentially a matter of personal feeling

Has Microsoft led us down the garden path?  Too bad for you if you took our advice and installed Build 10240 but can no longer update and run new Builds. Your machine is toast.

yes they did. if you or i gave the same kind of advice to our customers, we would not have any.

What about you?  When will your machine quit working?

when the hardware breaks

What good is any machine that cannot run updates?

the machine is not at fault. the operating system is.

personally, i don't believe in automatic updates so i don't really care anyway.

What about me in a year?  Is Build 11234 going to fail on my X230?

let's see about that in a year. i'm pretty sure you will try.

But what about all the other users who did upgraded older machines and now cannot upgrade to Build 10586?  Such users exist in this forum and myself and others are trying to help without success.

some will buy a new computer ; some will hire someone who will basically perform a clean reinstall, and possibly disable updates ; i guess few of them will even accept the idea that ms is the one at fault, partly purpoisely

Dark clouds for Windows 10 Users?

that would depend on the user

most won't ever dare trying an update or will end up believing the computer just "toasted away"

some look at a piece of trash and see a bed of roses...

i hope a few of them figured out the storm is already over their heads... and ours ( OEM OSes that can't be toyed with, dirty screens with fingerprints all over the place because the next generation os decided to be unusable with a mouse and keyboard, personal data in the cloud, and so many people happy to surrender... )

Author Comment

John2016-01-22 03:50 AMID: 1888646
you started this thread because of an unacceptably faulty upgrade process, and end up defending the undefendable   Yes.  However if you read above, I fixed that problem (and said so) and the machine works fine.

yes they did. if you or i gave the same kind of advice to our customers, we would not have any

And I clarified this as well. I fixed that above computer, it works fine, I lead customers and colleagues into Windows 10 and they are happy. NO lost customers.