• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Live - Bugs and Feature Requests.

I figured I'd make a new thread on the Live Topic as I felt I was sort of Hijacking the search thread. In addition to other comments in the search thread. . .

I'd very much like to suggest a smaller "chat window" when accepting a connection. maybe even a pop-out side-bar, currently since I'm using a MacBook primarily, it's a little cumbersome to constantly swap windows and search or read any reference and come back to the full page chat.
Maybe putting the chat on the left and enabling E-E (usually my first search anyway as the main page)
the back and forth is annoying, and I'd feel like I could be wasting time or missing a comment from client, while doing a search.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (9)

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2016-02-11 09:56 PMID: 1895129
Link "Available" status to a calendar or "hours by day"

I understand this may not be a simple request, but I don't remember to change my status in LIVE all that often.

Fo4r those wanting help, getting zero responses from a list of experts who the system says are available is not a great "user experience" and they may give up trying.

If my status could be set to available during some hours of the day (that I choose) on some days (that I choose) then there is a much higher likelihood I will actually be at the other end of a request - and that will improve the UX for all involved.

Expert Comment

Sina May2016-02-12 06:16 AMID: 1895205
Hi all!

R.,

The popout window would definitely be valuable for some interactions and I've noted your feedback. Thanks!

Paul,

The deny interface is something we plan to improve in the near future. We also agree that an "office hours" type system could be helpful.

For a better understanding on my end, when you are not "available" do you typically leave a tab with Experts Exchange open in the background? We try to have the system understand when you are viewing the site to help cut down on some of those missed connections, but it seems like this hasn't helped as much as we hoped.

Thanks!

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2016-02-12 12:30 PMID: 1895255
>>"do you typically leave a tab with Experts Exchange open in the background?"
yes

on a laptop, most commonly hibernating when not in active use - but can be left running
on a phone, there are usually some EE tabs open in Chrome

so it may appear to the servers that I never sleep - but I most certainly do.

Expert Comment

I got a request though Live and when I opened the conversation tab, it had only a Deny button and I couldn't figure it out that how to respond to the request or start conversation with OP. How does it work?

Expert Comment

Netminder2016-02-12 11:36 PMID: 1895317
It's up to them. You could use the Messaging system to say "sorry, I missed your request" -- but that's about it.

That will probably change in the next few upgrades, but we don't have a firm date for anything specific other than what is in the latest release thread: http://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/215821/Code-and-Content-Release-February-15-2016.html

N

Expert Comment

It's up to them. You could use the Messaging system to say "sorry, I missed your request" -- but that's about it.

That's what I did. But isn't it very inconvenient really? There should be an option to reply to a request in the same window itself.