• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Proposed Feature - Contributors accept close request

I just participated in a question in which the author found the solution with my help. He'd like to accept his answer and use my answer as an assist and "split the points". It's not uncommon for something like this to happen and then the question just hangs around for a 4 day waiting period allowing any contributor to object. However wouldn't it be nice if there was also an option for all contributors to accept thereby shortcutting this waiting period? Sort of an opt-in approach.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (15)

Expert Comment

krakatoa2016-02-23 02:54 AMID: 1897098
For better or worse, I've always felt that once a Question has been asked, there is at least one expert participating, and a 'solution' has been obtained, that whatever the circumstances under which that solution was obtained, the points should always be awarded to the expert(s) involved, and never to the Asker. This is from my experiences on both sides of the fence.

The 'magic' of EE (i.e. getting an eventual usable answer to something) can sometimes simply happen through merely asking the question, because in that simple exercise the Asker himself can be set off to think in another direction, eventually leading to answering his own question. That sort of outcome is every bit as much an EE-derived value, as obtaining a concrete, copper-bottomed or forensic answer from the expert(s).

Expert Comment

<<Maybe it can be done if there is only 1 participant in a question :).>>

But again, why bother when the current process works?  What's the gain?  The other thing to consider here is:

a  The engineering resources to make it happen.
b. The added complexity of the close process, which can impact future changes.

<< that whatever the circumstances under which that solution was obtained, the points should always be awarded to the expert(s) involved, and never to the Asker. This is from my experiences on both sides of the fence.>>

Don't agree at all.   I've seen many cases where an Expert only points an asker in the right direction and they figure it out on their own.  Expert's don't get points for participation, they get points for answers.

And just to be clear, an asker is never awarded points even if they mark their own comment as solution.

Jim.

Expert Comment

krakatoa2016-02-23 03:50 AMID: 1897104
>> Don't agree at all.   I've seen many cases where an Expert only points an asker in the right direction and they figure it out on their own.  Expert's don't get points for participation, they get points for answers.

And just to be clear, an asker is never awarded points even if they mark their own comment as solution.
<<

I didnt say you had to agree - this is a discussion, and that is my opinion. I think you missed the nuance of my perspective. But never mind.

Expert Comment

Well since this is a discussion, and I just offered my point of view, and you say I've missed the point of yours, then please educate me.

Jim

Expert Comment

AndyAinscow2016-02-23 07:13 AMID: 1897121
All it brings is the question is closed more rapidly.  
For the experts - does that actually bring anything.  
For the asker - I don't know how the EE system reacts with 'too many' open questions re reminders or even stopping them asking a new question until others are closed.  EE Staff should be able to say if there could be an advantage.  If there isn't any then I personally see only work being created for no benefit.

Expert Comment

Merete2016-02-23 09:42 PMID: 1897247
Questions also go through stages depending on the members that contribute and respond,, they will receive an email after three days reminding them to respond then if they dont,  after 14 days, the question will be marked as abandoned, and then they will now be blocked from asking any new questions until they respond to their old question,
so we the contributes will have to wait again. Sometimes unforeseen things happen to the asker and they just forget or have an accident go on holidays.
This seems fair and works fine so far I dont see any gains with changing it.
If you want speed up things volunteer as a cleanup crew ;)
It's explained here
What is an Abandoned Question?
http://support.experts-exchange.com/customer/portal/articles/637819