• England,
  • United Kingdom

Top Contributors

VMware 6 - Pros and Cons of Waiting to Update From 5.x

For those of you using VMware View for a VDI environment, have you made the jump to 6 and if so have you had any issues? We recently updated to 5.5 and were unfortunately caught by VMware's poorly publicized SSLv3 bug (where update 3b to Vsphere 5.5 breaks View Composer 5.3) and I'm hoping I can get some expert input to help decide whether we need to continue waiting to perform any more updates. We utilize Cisco UCS blades for our hosts, for those who may ask. I know there are certain hardware specific builds of ESXi and while I was Googling "VMware 6 bugs" there seemed to be some which only affected certain hardware.

We still haven't fully recovered from that debacle, and any advice or info you can share will be greatly appreciated.

- Bobby
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (7)

Expert Comment

Bea_Love2016-03-07 12:32 AMID: 1898975
We have just upgraded to Vsphere 6 and also have Cisco UCS blades in our environment, completing last Friday.

We have used the VCE Matrix RCM 6.0.4, so we are expecting this to have been tested, as we spent out for a 'Warranted Environment'.

We be monitoring this closely and I'll let you know of any issues we come across.

Eva

Expert Comment

Zacharia Kurian2016-03-07 03:08 AMID: 1898979
Thanks for the discussion. We started planning to upgrade our data center to 6. But I will hold it until I see more posting. If anyone is planing to move to IBM (Lenevo) Flex System, I would be glad to hear about it too.

Zac.

Expert Comment

If you've not done it yet, I would maybe wait for 6.1 (or u2 at the latest!)

Author Comment

JHMH IT Staff2016-03-07 10:28 AMID: 1899052
Thanks for all your input everyone! This upcoming weekend (March 12) I will be rolling our hosts back up to 5.5.3a and stopping there. According to VMware if you update View to 5.3.6 it will work with update 3b, but I'm not taking that chance after what happened prior.

I'll let you all know how it goes, and I'll wait to move to 6 until we see some more positive feedback.

- Bobby

Expert Comment

JHMH IT Staff,

Let us know how it goes mate. I'm curious to know what had happened to you.

Expert Comment

James L Machie Jr2016-11-28 06:18 PMID: 1952378
Is anyone currently running ESXi 6 on Cisco UCS? Part of my environment is Cisco UCS. The rest are all HP DL380's.