• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

March Expert Spotlight- John Hurst!

Hello Gang!

I just wanted to take a moment to recognize this month's Expert Spotlight subject, John Hurst [thinkpads_user]! He's an overall Savant with over 100 Experts Exchange certifications. Read more about he and his altruistic approach to answering questions, as well as his smarty-pants grandkids here:

http://blog.experts-exchange.com/ee-blog/expert-spotlight-john-hurst/

Thanks!

Jaime Lewis
Community Coordinator
jlewis@experts-exchange.com
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (16)

Expert Comment

Daydreams2016-03-08 08:06 AMID: 1899195
I've seen John's work in the copy review and proofreading areas and he always has excellent contributions. John, you are quite a well rounded fellow with many talents, and always a gentleman.

Expert Comment

John2016-03-08 09:15 AMID: 1899226
Thank you.

Gustav - I had my rolling stock boxed up in the basement for 20 years and then just made time to build the table and track work. We all have fun with it.

Expert Comment

John2016-03-19 01:46 PMID: 1900763
So I took my grandson out to the Hobby Shop near where my daughter works. We bought an Intermodal HO ES44 6 axle diesel locomotive with DCC and Sound. We also got an HO scale firetruck and found the ladder will extend enough to get to the upper level of the tracks.

I taught him how to use the horn and bell on the locomotive and he can run it with a wireless controller. Needless to say, he was very pleased with himself and with the new equipment.

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2016-03-19 02:42 PMID: 1900764
Yes, needless to say. My grandson is still too young, 2½ years, so I have some years to get up in speed and have tracks laid out.

I got my first train set when I was six and still remember the joy and magic. That may be, I know, a bit different these days where kids grow up with pads and phones, but still.

/gustav

Expert Comment

John2016-03-25 06:47 PMID: 1901728
The Hobby Shop called. I had left them a Canadian Passenger VIA locomotive to upgrade to Digital Command Control (DCC). Earlier they said there was not enough room in the engine to include Sound. So I got it back, upgraded, running and I purchased one additional passenger rail car so it is a complete train. Just no sound.

My grandson now likes the big diesel locomotive better because he can blow the horn and set the bell ringing.

Expert Comment

John2016-03-31 06:46 PMID: 1902834
I just saw our Granddaughter on National television on David Suzuki's "The Nature of Things". She was with her God Father who writes an Ethics Column and they were both interviewed.