• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Student scholarship contest

Hi all,

As many of you know, we're working on a variety of initiatives in 2016 and 2017 that Gene outlined in his email to you all at the beginning of the year. One of those initiatives was about giving back to the IT community and encouraging a younger generation to pursue a career in tech.

As such, we today launched a scholarship contest for high school and college-age students. The students who enter will submit articles and videos, 3 of which will be selected at the end of the contest period to receive a scholarship prize towards their education. You can find all of the details here: http://pages.experts-exchange.com/scholarship

If you have friends, family, or know of anyone who may be interested in this contest, please spread the word! We're excited to see our community encourage and embrace those students who are passionate about technology.

As always, please let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Katie
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (11)

Author Comment

Katie Keller2016-03-09 08:12 AMID: 1899350
Hi Crystal,

Those that are currently accepted to a college, university, or trade school are eligible, which includes high school students most likely in their senior year.

Katie

Expert Comment

Hi Katie,

with all due respect, I disagree with excluding high school students.  These days, many talented young folks do not see benefit to formal education (justifiably) and they do not have a way to fund it, so they do not apply.  What could it hurt to open it to high school students who do not have an acceptance to college or trade school? Perhaps a scholarship is the door to open that for them.  I guess the real question is ... what is the goal? To help and recognize young folks who are talented?

And why peg it on college and trade school anyway?  If something is good, it is good. If someone wins, they will spend the scholarship on education.

Thank you.

Expert Comment

John2016-03-09 11:21 AMID: 1899372
High Schools students (except those in their most senior year) are too young (under 18) and normally lack the maturity for a professional site. My two cents.

Expert Comment

Netminder2016-03-09 11:31 AMID: 1899374
John,

You mean people like
nexusnation: EE Moderator at 15, George Washington University grad and now a lead developer at WordPress
mattjp88: EE Moderator at 15, formerly an intern at EE, MIT grad and now cofounder at teamup.com
tigermatt: EE Moderator at 15, speaker at TEDx and Distinguished Graduate at Cambridge

N

Expert Comment

David L. Hansen2016-03-09 12:48 PMID: 1899388
Couldn't we just say that the scholarship must be paid to an accredited college or university. If we do, the only HS students that will likely compete will be those with college/university aspirations. There could even be a specific window of time that the money must be used within (to ensure that it actually gets used).

Expert Comment

Gene Richardson2016-03-09 01:34 PMID: 1899397
For clarity...this is a scholarship contest.  The IRS rules (and other rules) for a pure scholarship that gets paid to a college or university (or even directly to the student) would have required us to create either a foundation or 501c3.  For the expense, litigation, etc. required to do that, we chose to take the route of the scholarship contest.  

With respect to specifying high school students, etc.:  This is open to anyone that wants to, has been accepted, is already going to school...all the above.  And, age is not a factor.  I am in my 50's and if I wanted to go back to school, I could apply for this (if I wasn't an employee).  If a 15 year old was going to go to college, they could apply to this too.  The stipulation we had to put in the rules needed to be demonstrated proof that they were either accepted or registered to win the contest.  For the scholarship, we can't just give a winner money that might be thinking about going to school.  If we want to have a different contest where people can win money for good articles/videos, we can have that conversation.  But this one won't work for that scenario.