• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Memory leak with Firefox on question page

While answering a question this evening, and just before I clicked Submit, Firefox temporarily froze.  I thought it had frozen completely and just lost my entire response, but it barely recovered long enough for me to copy my response to the clipboard and into Word.

I looked at the task manager and Firefox was using 3.3 GB of Ram so it was at its limit.  I have had this problem before on EE when answering questions and now it is an apparent memory leak.  I can reproduce it by scrolling down to the bottom of a question page where it shows the footer, some video shortcuts and suggested topics.  While idle there, the memory usage in Firefox gradually increases.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (13)

Expert Comment

Sudeep Sharma2016-03-29 03:50 AMID: 1902246
Good to hear that it's not EE which is causing this, however if adblock is causing it on EE then it must be checked and fixed.

Sudeep

Expert Comment

serialband2016-05-16 09:09 PMID: 1912338
When will this be fixed?

I would say the EE is the problem because no other site does this to this extent with adblock turned on in Firefox.  That means the code on EE is broken.  It's still happening because I see it immediately now when I go to EE topic pages.  The actual question pages don't have this problem.  EE gets free help from me and yet they still want to show me ads?  Thanks, but no thanks.

Everyone needs to block ads now, because a lot of scams and malware are coming in through the ad channels.  It's less resource intensive to block the actual ad than it is to let the ad play and hope your AV catches it.  I frequently recommend that adblockers be installed now as a first line of defense against malware.  I used to not recommend it, because I believed that web sites needed advertising income to support themselves.  It's their own greed that has spurred the adoption of adblockers.

EE needs to fix this, but it looks like they closed that bug case.  They obviously don't know how to fix it and don't care about the constant lagging either.

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2016-06-21 09:35 AMID: 1918713
Hi serialband,

Did you report the issue here? https://www.experts-exchange.com/Expert_Testing/1063/Share-your-feedback-or-report-a-bug-on-Experts-Exchange.html
I cannot find anything you reported as 'memory leak' in the All Bugs area.  Can you help me out?

Also, may I ask why you are using Ad Block while using Experts Exchange?  If you're a Qualified Expert (which I see that you are and have been for quite some time), then you have earned free Premium access.  Premium service members do not have advertisements.  Are you seeing ads as a Qualified Expert?  If you are, then this is a bug.

Expert Comment

serialband2016-06-21 07:12 PMID: 1918812
Someone else reported it and I saw it closed.  I can't seem to find it right now.  I'm searching my email, but I usually delete any old EE mail that are done.

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2016-06-22 10:45 AMID: 1918931
Gotcha.  Would you mind filing a report for me so I can escalate it properly to our teams?

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2016-06-30 02:15 PMID: 1920947
@serialband,

If you're still having issues, then please report this issue to our Feedback area and we will investigate the issue per your specifications.  Otherwise, turning off ad blocker appears to the solution.