• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Job Interview Questions

I'm doing a bit of research and thought I would poll our internal group of tech experts to see what your experiences have been...

What is the most unique or challenging question you've been asked in a tech job interview?

I'm not talking the classic "What's your biggest weakness?" or "Where do you see yourself in five years?", although those are classics for a reason.

Share your thoughts here.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (27)

Expert Comment

Brian B2016-04-01 07:10 AMID: 1902891
Most interviews usually ask what my salary expectations are and I find that a challenge sometimes. The question I have for those of you who do interviews is what do you use that answer for? Would you consider having a candidate back for a second interview if their expectations are too high? What about too low?

Come to think of it, for most private sector jobs in North America, the salary range is hard to find for a specific position in a specific company.

Expert Comment

SStory2016-04-04 07:21 AMID: 1903276
My most unique situation was a multi-tiered interview that I didn't understand until I read a book on 1001 interview questions. Then I understood that the first person who interviewed me was a "gatekeeper." She knew almost nothing about the job, but was there to weed out the undesirables--fail to make it past her and you were done. Then the next interview as a "stress interview" where false stress was generated in order to see how I handled stressful situations.  Finally after a lot of time, I got to the "real interview" and by then having answered the same questions multiple times, etc, I couldn't remember what I'd answered and asked to actually participate in the final interview and at that point was no longer interested in working in such a place. It was, however, a great experience in interviewing and prepared me for future ones.  The classics are "greatest strength" and "greatest weakness" which you should ALWAYS answer as positive things.  "greatest weakness" being perfectionism is usually good. A strange interview involved a logic aptitude test--maybe like an IQ test or something. Tests aren't always reliable.  Oddly enough I never had a technical test like (code this. or what command would you issue to do ....?)

Expert Comment

aikimark2016-04-04 07:53 AMID: 1903287
A friend of mine in the Chicago area has a list of questions that seem to be things I'd read on TheDailyWTF.com

Every once in a while I'll send him some particularly 'interesting'/'obtuse' question, comment, or scenario that I've encountered in real life or on EE.  I'm sure we've all seen some real head shakers.  You would certainly see my 'not face' reaction if this weren't just text.
https://news.osu.edu/news/2016/03/28/notface/

Expert Comment

Jessica Matthew2016-05-06 10:56 AMID: 1910140
Hi all,

Thanks for your contributions on this;  we got published in Business Insider!
http://www.businessinsider.com/9-of-the-trickiest-tech-job-interview-questions-tech-professionals-have-had-to-answer-2016-4

Expert Comment

although technically the Boeing Question, was not for a Computer Science Corporation Senior Analyst Candidate, that's obviously been ripped from my LinkedIn page!

maybe it was to protect the identity of the organisation!

Expert Comment

Unless the Author, looked at my LinkedIn Page to try and match the Fortune 500 Company the interview was for!

it was not that one!