• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Abandoners should not be tolerated

Hi.

I have been answering questions on ee for almost 13 years now and participated in 7000+ questions. My motivation is to share knowledge and to help. Also, almost 200 times, I asked something myself and sometimes it even worked out :)

During all this time, I wonder why ee management tolerates that their customers treat volunteering experts like they do: very often very badly.
  • No feedback is given
  • No closing comment like a simple "thank you" is left behind
  • Questions are constantly abandoned
  • Questions are sometimes pending and are continued some months after they started
  • Customers are often anything but polite

You all know this problem, I don't need to go into details.
My feeling is that about every 3rd question is treated like this and with it, the experts.

If I were ee management, I would consider what is more valuable to them: single paying customers or good experts who invest time and effort for them for free. If I were to decide, I would proceed like this:
For example, if customers abandon questions, they should be warned one or twice but after the 3rd time, they would be banned. This should of course be communicated right from the start when they acknowledge the terms of use.

My frustration level has reached a new maximum by now.
ee, when will you do something for us and change some basics?
Who agrees?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (156)

Expert Comment

satsumo2016-09-13 09:35 AMID: 1936474
Same with me. If I wanted to help people (for free) and that might make the site some money then why should I have to earn the right to use the site? It's not like I'm getting anything for it, nobody has to pass a test on Stack Overflow.

Expert Comment

SStory2016-09-13 09:50 AMID: 1936480

Expert Comment

Gene Richardson2016-09-13 10:41 AMID: 1936501
There have been some questions and concerns regarding our change in policy regarding the qualification for free premium membership status.  First, we made Q&A free to benefit the entire community.  If a member (or expert) is only here to use the site for Q&A, they don’t need a premium membership to do that anymore.  There is no pressure to try and get to 10,000 points each month if their schedule doesn’t permit it.  All of the Q&A capabilities will still be available and your “expertise” and rank rewards have not changed.  We are working on additional ways to demonstrate our member’s expertise such as the release of the new profile page and levels on avatars.

Expert Comment

mlmcc2016-09-13 10:43 AMID: 1936504
Thanks Gene.  If an article is linked as part of the solution, will a non-premium user be able to read the whole article?

mlmcc

Expert Comment

Gene Richardson2016-09-13 10:46 AMID: 1936505
Not at this time, they will need a premium membership to view the whole article.  We are looking to move articles to free status very soon.  We worked on Q&A first because that is more than 95% of the overall traffic to the site.

Expert Comment

Jan Springer2016-09-13 10:52 AMID: 1936506
So, as a basic member, I probably don't want to submit articles because I can't see what's already been done?