• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

How will Brexit affect American developers?

What are your predictions on how Brexit will affect American software developers?  There is a lot of talk about British software companies moving to Frankfurt and Dublin, and how it's affecting tech in the UK, but how do you think this will influence developers in the US?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (14)

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2016-07-13 03:06 PMID: 1924068
^^^ Looks like we've found our article author..

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2016-07-13 08:19 PMID: 1924096
Anyone old enough to remember how hard it was for Britain to get into the EU?.... and how much impact that had on the "commonwealth"??

I'm just hoping it hits 'em hard and that Scotland cedes from the union (ps: note my surname!)

Then, that both the Scottish & English pound plunge sharply and so I can afford to go there for an extended holiday.

Seriously dumb decision.... it's not like that can row across the Atlantic for safety.

Expert Comment

☠ MASQ ☠2016-07-13 10:09 PMID: 1924099
(tries to stay objective ....)

Seriously dumb decision.... it's not like that can row across the Atlantic for safety.

Agree with dumb, it's no secret I was on the "remain" side but this is what happens when you devolve democratic decision making powers to the population, feed them a lot of half truths and assume they will vote for the greater good rather than reflect their personal agendas and prejudices.  

There are worrying similarities the other side of the pond which mitigate against us rowing towards you right now!

Traced back far enough I'm sure I owe my genes to some invading force that occupied part of the UK - but probably not recently enough to qualify for European citizenship, but then I guess that's true of a lot of Americans too.

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2016-07-13 11:16 PMID: 1924107
and the casually observing Aussie, you have much further to row to get here

Expert Comment

David L. Hansen2016-07-14 08:54 AMID: 1924174
MASQ,

As an American I'm not sure we're getting the deeper story here (I don't delude myself into believing that the unvarnished truth is often found in our media).  So, I was hoping hat you could speak to the reasons why the vote went the way it did.

We hear all the economic issues that are talked about (the weaker EU nations and the strength of the Euro, etc.). And I'm sure that played a big part, but is there more (cultural, etc.)?  I'm guessing there's plenty of other reasons but I won't speculate too much here -- not wishing to influence your perceptions.

Expert Comment

Nick672016-07-14 09:52 AMID: 1924189
Up and until the Commons votes to trigger Article 50, the Lords approves it and the Queen signs it into law, it is a lot of talk.
Of the 72% of folks who voted 52% voted for Brexit and  48% for Remain.
In a parliamentary democracy, that's not a mandate to do ANYTHING.
I doubt highly that even if the Commons manages to pass a Brexit resolution, that the Lords or Queen are going to let that pass by with this parliament.
The Queen has not become the longest serving British monarch just to become the last one.

A general election will have to be fought on the issue, and it is not at all clear that Brexiteers can win their riding nominations first and then their ridings afterward.  Up and until an election is fought on the issue and the Brexiteers have a majority in the Commons, no Article 50 triggering is going to happen.  You could take that to the bank, but with all the uncertainty perhaps the bank isn't the best place to take it.

May can talk "Brexit means Brexit" all she wants, but a silly referendum in a parliamentary democracy is completely worthless.  Brexit does  mean Brexit -- but it is not at all clear that the people of the UK want a Brexit.  A lot want the EU to revisit the idea that anyone can move anywhere and draw social benefits--and not just Britons.  A lot want Brussels to keep its snout out of things that don't need to be regulated into continent-wide uniformity for pragmatic reasons.  Why everyone across the whole continent needs to have tea kettles and toasters made to the same standard, for instance.  And it is not just Britons who find that Brussels over-reaches.  The EU is in need of some serious reform.  When it becomes clear that a Brexit isn't going to be triggered immediately, there will probably be some serious push to see to it that it doesn't need to get triggered at all.

Elections have consequences.
Referendums, not so much.
Wait and see.