• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Hobbies - Fun with all kinds of hobbies

I like model trains and electronics.

My grandson really likes the trains and he is furiously learning how to run them properly. Their family got me a VIA locomotive and passenger car for Christmas. It would not run on my layout, so I took it into the hobby shop and had Digital Command Control installed. We got a second passenger car and at the same time, we got a large (6 wheel trucks) BNSF diesel locomotive with Sound and DCC. He quickly learned how to run it, use the horn and the bell. It is great for me when he is having fun with the trains.

On the electronics front, I was setting up a power supply for him to learn and use. I was testing current on my Digital Multimeter when I heard a POP. At first I thought it was the power supply, but no, it was the 440 mA fuse inside. This is easy to get at, so I removed it.

A quick Google Search for the actual part number yield lots of hits with prices ranging from $10 through $50 for one single replacement fuse. Fluke want $20. I finally ordered 3 from Newark Electronics at $10 each plus tax and shipping. They came today and I put one in the DMM and it is running fine

It is in my shop in my basement where I can test AC Adapters for laptops and determine how the work under load. A couple of years ago I got a Triplett 630 PLK analogue meter with a 10 A current range. This is formed with a heavy gauge wire shunt that siphons off only a tiny current to run the meter movement. This is great for testing the health of AA through D cells. Short the 10 A range briefly with the meter and see how far it swings. I can usually tell how good the battery is.

It is fun in my basement and especially so when my grandson is over here.

What kind of hobbies do you have?  What experiences have you had?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (26)

Author Comment

John2016-10-01 02:19 PMID: 1940185
Nope. Big HO train layout in the basement, and electronics hobby workshop (a couple of fast oscilloscopes and other gear). Much to do with family.

Also my Financial Accounting consulting business takes a lot of time as well.

Expert Comment

mbizup2016-10-01 03:53 PMID: 1940186
Ha!  I forgot about this thread... here are my ripe, ridiculously hot Carolina Reapers pictured in their infancy earlier in this thread, entered in the County Fair.
Reapers

Author Comment

John2016-10-01 04:03 PMID: 1940187
Great! I assume the Blue Ribbon is first place. The picture is a bit cut off,

Expert Comment

mbizup2016-10-01 04:07 PMID: 1940188
Yes!  Came as a pleasant surprise.  I entered them on a whim in the general hot pepper category.  They weren't actually tasted, so I don't know what standards the judges used.

Expert Comment

Congrats, Miriam! That's a great achievement!

Expert Comment

mbizup2016-10-01 05:25 PMID: 1940190
Thanks!