• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Community Administration Updates

On August 1, 2016, we will begin implementing changes to our community administration and leadership roles.   In this first phase, we are moving the overall site administration of the Experts Exchange community to the corporate office reporting to Brenae Noack, our Product and Community Manager.  Brenae has been with Experts Exchange for over eight years and is well versed in the needs and day-to-day operations of the community.

Community roles will be broken into three teams with focused disciplines: Q&A, Content, and Customers. Brenae will oversee these three teams.

The Q&A team will be responsible for the Q&A area of our site. Rob Jurd (eenookami) will fill the Q&A Advisor role. Rob will be responsible for the Moderators, Topic Advisors and Cleanup Crew.

The Content team will be responsible for Articles, Videos and Courses.  The Content Editor Lead will be Morgan Condict from Experts Exchange, an employee with over three years experience on the site in quality assurance and an English and Literature major studying for his teaching credentials. Morgan will be responsible for the Page Editors..

The Customer team will be responsible for member billing, suspensions, onboarding, and recruitment; overall member issues and satisfaction. They will also be moderating other areas of the site, including: Groups, Website Testing, Gigs, Live and Careers. Customer Advocate positions will be filled by our existing Customer Service department at Experts Exchange, which includes Kyle Santos and Ryan Swearingen.  

You will start to see these teams contributing in their respective areas in the near future. The process of asking questions or submitting content or requesting help/attention hasn't changed and will follow the same process with which you're familiar.

We encourage you to reach out to the lead of each discipline for any questions or clarifications you may have.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank some longstanding members that have performed the administration and leadership roles and kept Experts Exchange running smoothly for so many years; Eric Peterson, Jason Levine and Todd L’Herrou.  They have helped us get to where we are today and we will forever be indebted to them for their efforts.  They may continue to participate on the site in the other volunteer roles as needed and/or at their discretion.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Brenae or myself.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (44)

Expert Comment

Al Jee2016-08-02 08:23 PMID: 1927272
<bseg>

Expert Comment

Just my 3cents here ...

Gene,
I found in your comment that you confirmed that EE traffic was going down.
First time I read that, "officially", from EE side, I might have missed it previously.

I am actually unsure if the microsites still exist, and if they do, completely apart from EE site in regards to question visibility, this is, in my opinion, the worst step done in regards to site visits.

It has been commented by others that some tech areas get much less questions, because I presume that indeed the micro-sites also took some (major) part of the traffic there, but I as multi-topic expert cannot understand why I would have to login to 10 micro-sites, just because I wanted to help on 10 tech areas, not even considering that often questions are about cross-tech issues.

getting back all the traffic will be to "undo" that step for really IT - related pages.
for stuff like dog-feeding or deep-see-diving questions: keep those microsites, I am fine with that, and in regards to traffic: link them with EE (powered by experts-exchange.com) ...
for sql server, mysql, php etc: merge them fully back to EE.

In regards to "user permissions", I understood that some of the "old cv mods" have been taken their life-time premium membership.
I understand this was some data manipulation or understanding issue, and should be fixed if not yet done

Best Regards
angel eyes

Author Comment

Gene Richardson2016-08-08 03:47 AMID: 1928610
Thanks Angel....the micro-sites were retired and merged about a year and a half ago.  We are looking into the life-time premium membership issue.  We did not change anything that we know of but will get it resolved.

Expert Comment

<<I am actually unsure if the microsites still exist, and if they do, completely apart from EE site in regards to question visibility, this is, in my opinion, the worst step done in regards to site visits.>>

They don't and they have been dead for quite some time.  They never got off the ground really.  

The idea was sound, but the implementation was flawed.

<< but I as multi-topic expert cannot understand why I would have to login to 10 micro-sites, just because I wanted to help on 10 tech areas, not even considering that often questions are about cross-tech issues.>>

The idea was that there would be a common portal with the main EE site, but they never got to that part.  So you could login to a micro-site and see that topic alone, or login to EE and see everything from all the micro sites.

This was all an attempt to avoid tagging and break away from the hard coded TA structure.   The idea was that you could put up a site quickly (TA) and remove it when the topic was no longer viable.

SO pulled this off extremely well.  A member can start a new TA if they want.

The micro sites however are not the reason for the decline in traffic.   Traffic had been going down well before, during, and after the microsites.

The main reason for the decline in the technical areas was the paywall, which SO took advantage of (in terms of being free), and Google's Panda changes for searches, which all but removed EE from appearing in searches for a number of years.

In regards to the paywall, to a lesser extent, it was also the fact that EE never promoted the ability to earn free membership.   It was always "sign-up and give us your CC info".   This is what started EE getting labeled as a "scam" site, via the fact that renewal was automatic with no warning, and they would give no partial refunds.

Had they promoted the earn your membership aspect from the start, I'm not sure we'd find ourselves in the same position today.

JIm.

Expert Comment

thanks for the head-up, was a bit less active around 2016 ...

Expert Comment

David L. Hansen2016-12-01 08:15 AMID: 1953021
I'm curious to see what the general consensus is at this point with the recent changes, now that we've had a couple months to experience it. I don't want to temp fate or stir up a hornets' nest but it seems the changes, for the most part, have proved positive (but I'm not active enough to really speak to each feature, so I could be wrong here).  

I think Gene needs to hear our opinions when things go well as much as when they don't.

The expert "community feel" hasn't really rebounded and that worries me. I'm sure TPTB could help there if they decide to.