• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

How can I find questions to answer? Is there a dedicated page for this?

The answer is: YES!

Originally I started this discussion, but I felt a need to highlight how impactful the Answer page can be to your success on the site.
https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/217693/Getting-started-Answering-questions.html

https://www.experts-exchange.com/answer.jsp
(or look in the menu > Contribute > Answer Questions)

This page is specifically tailored for Experts.  It has:
  • A profile snapshot along with points needed towards next EE Certification
  • Add New Topics
  • Filter Questions by Followed Topics / Saved Searches
  • And customizable columns that are managed by the gear icon on the right side of the page

Check this page out and let me know if you have any questions.

eg

answerPage
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (9)

Author Comment

Kyle Santos2016-08-03 04:01 PMID: 1927475
One thing about this page:  when I am logged in to EE and I tell it how many questions I want to see at a time, it should remember this setting.
On the Answer page I changed the 'Show' from 10 to 50 and got 50 results.  I left the Answer page and went back and the 'Show' retained my filter option of seeing 50 open questions at a time.  What are you seeing?

On a related note, is there a way to readily find questions which have not yet been responded to - essentially where the "Comments" count is 0 (zero)?
On the Answer page, you can simply toggle the Comments column by clicking on the arrow.
eg
toggleComments
OR

If you need to fine tune what you're looking for:
You can create a saved search and then filter questions by that saved search on the Answer page.
Steps
Go to https://www.experts-exchange.com/advancedSearch.jsp
Selection Content Types > Questions
Go to Comment Count > Add
And choose your desired Comment Count to filter open questions with 0 comment counts.

I find that, many times, I am the only one to respond to some questions and my tenacity is what gets the questioner to resolution.
When you create a saved search you have an option to get alerts right when the question is asked.  This is the quickest way I know of in trying to answer questions.  Do you have saved searches setup with on site or email alerts?  I prefer email.

Author Comment

Kyle Santos2016-08-03 04:03 PMID: 1927476
Another option I would find helpful is the ability to filter questions presented to me for answering by a particular category.  For example, I want to only answer Exchange questions today because I have had to deal with far, FAR too many Cisco routing issues today.

On the Answer page, look to the left side Filter questions by: Follow Topics and/or Saved Searches.  If you deselect all Follow Topics and Saved Searches that are NOT Exchange then the Answer page will filter to show only Exchange questions.

Does this help?

Expert Comment

Darrell Porter2016-08-03 05:10 PMID: 1927488
One thing about this page:  when I am logged in to EE and I tell it how many questions I want to see at a time, it should remember this setting.
On the Answer page I changed the 'Show' from 10 to 50 and got 50 results.  I left the Answer page and went back and the 'Show' retained my filter option of seeing 50 open questions at a time.  What are you seeing?

Close your browser.
Open your browser or go to another computer you have not used before and log in to EE.  Your question view preference reverts to 10.  I would like the site to remember how I set my preferences.

Author Comment

Kyle Santos2016-08-03 06:52 PMID: 1927532
Thanks for letting me know this.  I see the show option is not retained on Safari on my phone.  =) I will report this to our teams.

Expert Comment

Darrell Porter2016-08-04 02:15 PMID: 1927840
This should most definitely be a server-side profile setting and not a client-side cookie setting or session setting.

Arglesnarf!  Someone left a bunch of soapboxes laying about and I keep standing on them!

Author Comment

Kyle Santos2016-08-04 03:03 PMID: 1927856
=)