• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Updates to the Question Experience

Hi everyone,

A large issue we have had on our site is getting members to come back to close their questions and reward the experts who dedicated their time to giving a solution. We want to make sure we have systems in place to properly reward experts and identify the correct solutions if an author abandons their question.

On Monday 8/8, we released three updates to the question experience:

Inactive Question State
If a question has not received a comment from anyone within the last 14 days it goes into a new “Inactive” state.

Inactive question state details:
  • Only Participants, Author, Mods & TA’s have the option to comment
  • Once a comment is posted the question is no longer in the inactive state
  • Participants can request to close the question by selecting the best/assisted solutions.
  • If closed by a participant, it triggers our standard “Close Request Pending” process where Participants, Authors, Mods and TA’s have the 4 days to object to how the question is being closed.
  • If no one objects, the question is closed as recommended  
  • If someone objects, the question remains in the inactive state

Inactive question message to participants:

helpResolve
Inactive question message to non-participants:

nonParticipant
Additional notes:
  • Participants will receive an email letting them know when the question goes into the inactive state
  • Authors will still receive the abandoned question email
  • Inactive state is an available filter in advanced search

Close Request Objections & Request Attentions
Objecting to an close request will no longer automatically file a request for attention. The ability to request attention is available for anyone to use as necessary.

Abandoned Question Wizard Lock
Currently, a member’s question wizard is locked when they have an abandoned question (14 days of no comment by the author). We have removed this lock since the question can be closed by someone other than the author in the inactive question state.

Please reach out if you have any questions.

Regards,
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (33)

Expert Comment

John2016-08-12 02:50 PMID: 1929705
If I elect to close a question this way (Help Resolve this question) and I click the Close Question button, how do I assign equal points?  "Best" does not allow equal points. How do I assign equal. Thanks.

Author Comment

Kyle Santos2016-08-12 02:53 PMID: 1929706
John,

Edit Points & Grade.  Personally, I split it down the middle as close as it will allow me.

eg

Screenshot_4.png

Expert Comment

John2016-08-12 02:54 PMID: 1929707
Thanks. I will try this. I screwed up the last question I closed.

Expert Comment

Obaid ur Rehman2016-08-16 11:12 AMID: 1930293
I am a participant in a question which is now in abandoned state and I am unable to post a comment.
I do have the option to chose a solution.
Am I missing something?

Expert Comment

rindi2016-08-16 11:15 AMID: 1930294
Don't you have "Add new Comment" in the "Write" box?

Expert Comment

Obaid ur Rehman2016-08-16 11:25 AMID: 1930297
Oh yes, I just noticed it. So the comment box is not open by default. My bad Sir!