• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Experts Exchange on Entrepreneur.com

Hello All!

I just wanted to say thanks share some good news with you. An article written by Experts Exchange's Director of Engineering, Jeff Dake called "4 Essentials You Must Know to Hire Freelancers Effectively" was published on Entrepreneur.com!

A big thank you to all of the community members who provided their insights on this subject, it's so great to see you quoted on such a widely read publication (3M unique visitors per month!).

If you have any interest in being a potential source for stories such as these, please let me know :-)

Thanks again,

Jaime Lewis
jlewis@e-e.com

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2016-08-18 08:33 AMID: 1930579
Nice little read.  Jeez did they butcher that article with all the advertising.

>it's so great to see you quoted on such a widely read publication (3M unique visitors per month!).
If only EE articles could get such page counts.  Last I recall my most well-read article only has 25k page views.  How about doing something about that other than hiding them behind the paywall and giving lip service?

Expert Comment

Scott Fell, EE MVE2016-08-18 09:55 AMID: 1930593
That is a very good article Jeff.  

> especially first-time hirers, significantly low-ball the amount they want to pay for a project. This is the path to disappointment

+100 that

Expert Comment

John2016-08-18 10:34 AMID: 1930597
I prefer consulting as opposed to Gigs. Why? I build relationships with clients and have long term repeatable revenue. This has worked well for 15 years.

I agree with starting small and that is exactly what I did.

The Gigs I see here are (a) bigger than me (fine) or (b) an attempt to pay for what cannot be answered here. Some of the latter should be going to local consultants wo can do the work.

Expert Comment

<<> especially first-time hirers, significantly low-ball the amount they want to pay for a project. This is the path to disappointment

+100 that
>>

Ditto....have gone through the Gigs a few times just out of curiosity, and none are offering what it would really take.

One that caught my eye was "We need a migration of exchange 2010 to a new Exchange 2013 Server including the configuration."  for $150.

I read the offer 2x just to make sure I wasn't missing a decimal place.  I've seen very few that are offering what a job is worth.

Jim.

Expert Comment

Scott Fell, EE MVE2016-08-18 06:05 PMID: 1930708
Jim, I wouldn't give up on Gigs.   I have had good success recently.  I have also looked at a couple where the amount of their budget was far below reality.  All we can do there is give a brief description of what we can provide and nicely explain why their expected budget is too low and give a real bid. It will be a numbers game where for every X will reject, one will bite.

I wish they would do away with the term, "Freelancer" here for Gigs and Live.  If you go to any of the freelancer type sites, there most of the projects posted are requested to be done for a fraction of what it should be and there are people willing to not only take it on, but under bid the next person.  The people bidding either fit as described above, "first-time hirers, significantly low-ball the amount they want to pay for a project" or they are taking advantage knowing there will be people taking very lowball bids.

Let those types stay over there.  If we only accept the cream, eventually we will only be presented with the same.

Expert Comment

Scott,

Glad to hear you've had some good success.  You may be right about the term "Freelancer".   Somehow I make that equivalent to "cheap" as well.  Not sure where that comes from.   Maybe it's because it suggests someone taking something on the spur of the moment, rather than having a steady business.  Maybe EE should think of a classifieds section where people can post their businesses and what they do.

But I haven't seen Gig's evolve at all as yet.   The couple of times I've poked in, it's been more or less the same since the start.

As far as Live, I'm not sure how well that's working.   I myself have never used it.

Jim.

Jim.