• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

iPhone Horror Story

I purchased an iPhone SE about a month ago. This is 6s guts and camera in an iPhone 5 case. It is a very powerful phone.

Phone works.
Network works,
Apps work.

But I soon noticed that when I called someone, I could hear them but they could not hear me. Muffled and garbled was the universal feedback.

I went to the Apple Store Wednesday two days ago on a walk-in basis and they said the wait would be 3 hours, and come back Friday (this morning) and they would fit me in. Store opens at 10:00 am.

At 9:00 am, I connected the iPhone to my Desktop and let it backup and sync. I have done this many times but I wanted a fresh backup. Completed.

At 9:15 my phone rings. It is Canada Revenue Agency about a client of mine. All resolved amicably. BUT, the phone call was normal. This is NEW.

Off to Apple and they run diagnostics and the person calls me, we switch phones on the same call and all seems well.

I call 2 people who had pointed out to me how much better my iPhone 4s was - much more crisp and clear. Verdict: All is well

So what happened.  3 guesses

1. Technician says I may be holding the phone incorrectly and blocking the rear microphone. Maybe but I do not think so.

2. I asked if iTunes would have updated firmware?  He concurs that this is the most likely reason.

3. OS was somehow damaged and the most recent iTunes connection fixed it. Not likely.

I think Apple had a problem and they issued a firmware update.

Anyways all resolved at least for now
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (8)

Author Comment

John2016-12-05 05:38 PMID: 1953774
Four months later. Problem re-occurred and I visited Apple. They said there was dirt in the microphone holes causing the problem. The phone does seem to be working fine. Since the problem existed since new, I think it was manufacturing debris.

I need to get a can of air that I can use to keep the holes clean.

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2016-12-06 09:20 AMID: 1953911
Interesting.  So they told what the problem was, but didn't offer help?

Author Comment

John2016-12-06 09:23 AMID: 1953912
They told me about cleaning the microphone holes the other day. It does seem to have finally fixed the issue.

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2016-12-06 09:28 AMID: 1953914
That's a good tip!  THanks for sharing, John.

Author Comment

John2016-12-17 05:43 PMID: 1956626
Well, there was finally an end to this story - one that will only affect the smallest few people.

Firmware update and cleaning eventually (despite short term improvement) went nowhere in the long term.

Today I trudged through mountains of snow to transit and headed toward Square One in Mississauga (2 or 3 km from my home) where there is a big Apple store (where I purchased the phones).

I said, "I have been here several times and this phone has not worked reliably since purchase. Rip it apart and replace the microphone (that is the dead part), or replace the phone"

I have a new phone. I called my colleague, who has said "that is an improvement" and he said today "you sound remarkably clear"

Replaced - Permanent fix. Only a small few will care mostly because Apple does build excellent products in the first place.

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2016-12-19 11:36 AMID: 1956949
I'm glad to hear your phone is fixed!