• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

New 10,000 Points Per Month Requirement

I recently received an email that said after a consensus that everyone had agreed to beneficially raising the required point levels for free membership from 3,000 to 10,000 per month. I want to know how that benefits me as a registered expert.  Expert Exchange is beginning to treat its experts in a less and less favorable way. We are what keep this site on the air.  Really we get so little in return. Obviously somebody is making money off of this site.  The least that could be done would be to revert to 3,000 point per month, or perhaps give some grace months to people who have over a million points earned in case they don't make it one month.

Is it just me, or do other experts feel treated poorly by this and some other things, like auto deleting a question--wasting the expert's time and energy?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (257)

Expert Comment

>>still have access to their Personal Knowledgebase?

Yes.  They are only stored links.

If you have links to articles in there, you will not have access to the complete article until those become free as well.

Expert Comment

Eirman2016-09-27 08:16 AMID: 1939280
Thanks Netminder

Expert Comment

[ fanpages ]2016-09-27 08:19 AMID: 1939281
Kyle (ID: 1939084)
...Premium membership includes:

Unlimited access to ask new questions and search solutions.
    Private Questions.
    Unlimited access to Articles, Videos, Expert Testing, and Groups.
    Discounts on Live conversations and Gig projects.
    Discounts on Careers (aka job posts).
    Discounts on Courses (coming soon).

Thanks for the summary, Kyle.

I am confused why would anybody answer 10,000 points worth of questions in order to obtain a discount to post a Career advertisement. though.

Wouldn't they just (prefer to) pay a fee to gain unlimited listings over a certain period?

This aside, as I have never used any of those 'benefits' (since becoming a member in 1999), I am struggling to understand the motivation to try to gain 10,000 points per month... other than just plodding along attempting to help others (as before).

Do punters really pay for the premium content now?  I suppose they must do, or we wouldn't be having this discussion! :)

Expert Comment

Nick672016-09-27 10:16 AMID: 1939302
Do punters really pay for the premium content now?
It was only on 1-Sep-16 that Q&A became free.
Over time, and I have no recent data to share that suggests what was the previous pattern has been overturned, most members browsed the PAQ and little else.
You paid or maintained membership to be able to do that with a decent UI.

Expert Comment

[ fanpages ]2016-09-27 11:08 AMID: 1939321
fanpages:
Do punters really pay for the premium content now?

Nick67:
It was only on 1-Sep-16 that Q&A became free.
Over time, and I have no recent data to share that suggests what was the previous pattern has been overturned, most members browsed the PAQ and little else.
You paid or maintained membership to be able to do that with a decent UI.

I was really referring to the "...Articles, Videos, Expert Testing, and Groups".

Expert Comment

Hi SStory,

Yes, I'm also quite surprised that the requirement is now lifted more than double. I guess this is the new way to get more money from the existing member.

As for the benefits mentioned by Kyle (ID: #c1939084), I do not use that and it does not justify the price as Pluralsight or Lynda.com training website.